Chapter 3: Your Girl Ain't Reality

Evening was just settling in once more. There was a warm breeze coming from the open window that also let in rays of moonlight and streetlights that made the hotel room seem eerily creepy. There was a click as a key entered the lock on the door from the outside letting in the cafe owner. She had bags under her eyes, messy, unbrushed hair and could not be more relieved to get the day of fixing and cleaning over with. A strange, unknown bed in a tacky hotel room had never looked so good.

The day had been exceedingly busy, filled with non-stop problem solving and repetitive questions as well as irritating tasks in order to to make her beloved cafe look half as good as it was the day previously. The brunette cursed under her breath at whoever or whatever had turned her means of income into an atmospheric graveyard. As she had been on her feet all day, she hadn’t had time to think about the attack at all. She had actually unconsciously blocked out the craziness that was the unusual event and, it wasn’t until now, that she properly registered what seemed to have happened. Most witnesses, including her, couldn’t really explain what they saw. Although, they all agreed on seeing a piercing, white light that was almost overwhelming.

Yesterday, the day of the incident, she had been held by the authorities for long hours into the night before she instinctively started to clean up the mess in her innocent cafe. She hadn’t slept yet. I’ve never turned in this early before, she thought, glancing at the clock in her hotel room; 5:15pm. It seemed like 3 in the morning. She yawned into the back of her hand and her enticing, hazel-coloured, eyes were becoming hard to keep open.

With her sneakers dumped beside her bed, she collapsed onto it but stayed sitting as her memory brought her back to the two, tall and handsome, FBI agents who had asked about Steve. She only thought on the two men for a moment before her mind wandered again to the multitudes of other questions she had been asked that day by many different agents and officers. The poor woman finally felt relaxed for the first time all day, and she was just about to lie down and take the most well-deserved rest of her life when her chest exploded with pain.

Suddenly there was a figure in front of her, staring into her soul with a face of evil. She never got to sleep on that hotel bed or finish replenishing her joyful cafe. The hard-working, strong human only had the privilege of expelling her last scream, rudely disturbing dozens of guests in their own hotel rooms, who were peacefully enjoying living. 

XXXXX

Castiel had settled back down on his chair in the apartment and looked up in admiration at his old friends. Despite having been a human for months, Cas still could not quite understand feelings and the multiple things he was feeling now ironically made him feel confused, isolated and helpless. On one hand, he was beyond glad to see the brothers again. Having no one to talk to about his old life had taken it’s toll and he loved the idea of catching up, maybe doing normal human stuff, and not having to worry about things like the apocalypse or the Angels. However, he was also scared and worried for himself and even more so for Ellie. Not only her safety but her obliviousness to the situation made Cas feel bad inside. There were moments in the past weeks where he had thought about telling her everything, but would she believe him? Probably not. Cas thought that it was best for everyone, including Ellie, if she knew as little as possible.

“So, how did you find me?” Castiel started as Sam returned to where he was sitting opposite him. Dean had proceeded to look around the apartment, studying everything. If the brother’s hadn’t taken their posh suits off before coming to look for Cas in the building, it would seem like they were on just another case, interviewing a hopeless human.

“We were finishing up a hunt a few towns over, heard the story this morning, and thought we’d check it out,” Sam explained, glancing back at Dean to check that he was behaving himself. Dean had stumbled across a photograph on the fridge in the kitchen area of the apartment. Castiel noticed him looking at it, the picture of him and Ellie when they went to the park to play frisbee. He felt a little embarrassed, he still didn’t know if that was normal for human couples. Cas felt that Ellie was just as eccentric as he was, so he could never tell if the stuff they did was classed as ordinary.