Chapter 2: Me and My Humanity

For a moment, both Sam and Dean lingered on the thought that the girl in front of them was an Angel, and that Castiel had been found, but they almost instantly disregarded the idea. The apartment behind the woman was clean, not looking like anyone had broken in and there was no signs of any struggle. The place was not completely orderly but liveable and, drawing from experience, they knew they would have been attacked by now if the stranger was an Angel.

"Yes?" The woman's innocent voice seemed odd coming from such an appearingly mature and confident young lady. Sam and Dean were taken aback. The unknown girl was the last thing they thought would confront them at the door. Dean's gaze was diverted to the girl's enticingly plain, dark brown eyes that seemed like they were going to swallow him up. It was as though the stranger knew more than she let on, a hint of pure wisdom coming through on her pale face. The brother's ignored this peculiarity both silently agreeing on one thing which Dean voiced...

"I'm sorry, I think we've got the wrong apartment," Dean quickly apologised. After all, taking the directions from a supermarket worker who was probably still struggling to finish high school wasn't the best thing they had done.

"Who is it?" A gruff, male voice trailed through to the three figures who were now standing awkwardly in the doorway. All of a sudden, he was there.

Castiel, looking oblivious as always, came into view of the brothers. It was so strange seeing him without his usual trenchcoat and clean-shaven appearance. His unconcerned facial expression, however, was exactly like the old Cas. Dressed in an old, grey t-shirt and black sweatpants that looked like they had been slept in, he tried to act casual as he approached the front door but he was in fact on red alert for any signs of Angels. Castiel's face dropped immediately when he noticed his friends.

This expression was perfectly mirrored by Sam and Dean as they all stood staring at one another as though they hadn't met properly before.

"Dean?" Castiel continued to stare as the one syllable escaped his mouth. "Sam?" he started again, looking back towards the taller brother. Astonishment on both sides began to arise, the mystery that the spotty teenager at the supermarket actually gave an accurate address to Cas's place, and the relief that Castiel was alive and well, overcame the brothers. In fact, Castiel didn't just look well but he was acting normal as if he had not been compromised only 24 hours previously. For Castiel, it was the shock of seeing faces from his past. He didn't want his old life to bring him back under, however much he admired Sam and Dean, he didn't want that. The Angel attack had ruined everything, ruined everything he had created over these last 6 months. He had made a good life for himself here, with Ellie...

Castiel looked over to the brunette who had suddenly started to feel like she was interrupting something. She stood holding the door open, with the men in her presence, relishing at the unconventional reunion. She stared back expectantly at her boyfriend.

"Ellie!" Castiel realised who was also here with his friends, wanting to keep his identity hidden and to give the hint to Sam and Dean, he quickly went on. "These are my...old college friends," he indicated to the boys at the door to go along with it which they accepted without hesitation.

The older brother nodded before holding out his hand in salutation to the girl. "Dean," he stated, smiling as the woman took the gesture firmly. "This is Sam," Dean gestured to his brother and Sam continued with the same tedious process.

"Ellie," The woman replied with a forced smile. This left everybody greeted and wondering what to do next. All eyes ended up focused on Castiel, who had seemed to have gone into a daze, glaring into space like a child. The ex-Angel couldn't comprehend what was happening; his two facade's coming together. A collision like this would not end well, Castiel agreed to himself. Suddenly registering all the stares, he panicked and stuttered before taking control and, noticing Ellie's stern expression, understood what the next human thing was to do.