Chapter One

Dear readers, this is my second historical romance book. For those who've read Rules of Masquerade, you have become acquainted with Lady Callie and her estranged fiancé, Lord Thorbrooke. This is their story.

Happy reading!

Chapter One

End of August, 1819

The carriage's sway became somewhat less wobbly since they entered London. The erratic lurching gradually stopped as the untamed road gave way to modern cobbled stones pavement of the city. However, the air felt heavy and unclean. It was raining Callie observed, and as it fell the overall mood of the city was rather dark and depressing. Callie never fancied the city in the first place. The countryside of Kent was all that she knew growing up. She had only stayed in London on few occasions and all of them had been short-lived.

Regardless, her aversion of the city must be put aside for now. She is a woman on a mission. Parting the curtain of the carriage just slightly, she caught sight of the scene they were dashing past. "Won't be long now..." she whispered before closing the curtain again. Callie clasped her slightly trembling hands and leaned back to her seat.

The carriage rocked along for another fifteen minutes or so, until the coachmen pulled the horses into a trot and finally, to a stop. A small rap on the carriage door greeted Callie's ears before it was pulled open. Graham's familiar face greeted her eyes. The driver's travelling coat was half soaked by the light shower.

"We're ere' milady." Grunted the middle aged man and gesturing toward a handsome townhouse they have stopped in front of. He extended his hand to offer her support as she climbed down.

"Thank you Graham. Do take refuge from the rain as I ring the doorbell." Stepping out of the carriage, Callie's hiked up her skirt and headed for the front door of the townhouse. She rung the doorbell and waited. Seconds later, door was opened by a tall, gaunt looking man. His hair was a shade of graying auburn, a telltale sign of fading youth. His cheeks were sunken and his dark eyes pierced down coldly. Callie eyed the man with interest; she had never seen him before. Perhaps he was newly employed? 

"I'm here for Earl." Callie blurted out before the man could open his mouth.

The man's lips curled into a visible frown. "He is not in."

Angry puff of hot air escaped Callie's lips. She should have known her fiancé would never be home during the light of day. "I'll wait." She responded.

"That cannot be arranged." The man replied in a clipped manner. "Please drop by again at a later hour."

"I cannot." Callie replied stonily. "I came from Kent expressly to see him."

As she stood on the doorstep, Callie was ready to stare the butler down; her lips were pulled into a scowl. She narrowed her eyes, trying to match the man's glower. She'll be damned to leave before fulfilling her purpose. It was absolutely essential that she meet with the earl today and no later. However, as she squared her shoulders for a staring contest with the man, her ears welcomed a new voice which came floating from inside the house.

"Jones, who is it?"

A broad smile graced Callie's lips upon hearing the voice. Standing on her tippy toes, Callie called out. "Felix, oh thank goodness! Felix! It's me!"  

Not a few seconds later, a middle aged, balding gentleman appeared in the doorway. Felix Durand's watery blue eyes widened in surprise as he stared at her up and down. "Lady Adalbert, what a lovely surprise! Do come in, please."