Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Propelled by an ambiguous feminine shout, Raphael shot to his feet and cocked his head to the source of the commotion: upstairs. More specifically, Callista's room. Lazily, Raphael folded the morning paper and set it on the table before walking out of his study. Ever since her arrival to his home, Callista had definitely managed to spark brief moments of curious excitement within the household. 

Otherwise very mundane routines were disturbed by her and Lady Penelope's presence. The house was never subjected to a woman's touch before. Already he could see small transformation here and there: vases filled with flowers, furniture dusted and curtains parted, flooding hallways with light. Raphael continued to wait, but the shout did not recur and silence reigned in the house once more. It was probably enough excitement for one morning. Approximately a half an hour later, Callista descended the stairs for her morning meal with Lady Penelope in tow.

As they had been doing for the last week, Raphael and Felix joined the ladies for breakfast. Throughout the meal he could not keep his eyes off Callista while she remained quite unaffected. One could go so far to say that she was oblivious to his questioning stares. Had the memories of last night been completely wiped off during her sleep? Curiosity continued to bother him while he slathered his toast with jam.  What was she doing in his study and why did she not shout out for help after being locked inside?

As questions beleaguered his mind, Felix was making small chat with the ladies, careful not to mention the subject of commotion from this morning. Suddenly, a clang of silverware greeted his ears. Across the table, Callista murmured a quiet apology and hastily retrieved her eating utensils.

 "You have been so distracted this morning." Her mother sighed and reached for her cup of tea.

 "A slight headache is bothering me," complained Callista gently.

 That would be the brandy from last night, he thought silently, smiling inwardly.

"And my neck, it is sore," she continued. "I wonder why..."

 Felix, who was sipping his tea, involuntarily choked and ducked hastily, wiping his front with haste. Raphael was transported back to this morning when he had found Callista curled fast sleep on a loveseat, head propped uncomfortably against the armrest. A slow smile tugged at his lips.

 As Raphael tried to shove away the bubbling amusement, Felix recovered and kindly offered Callista an herbal ointment he possessed to loosen her stiff muscles. She thanked him sweetly before focusing on her eggs once more.

How curious, he thought. Either she was pulling their legs with a show of total ignorance, or she had actually managed to eradicate the events of last night completely from her mind. Raphael looked up from his plate of sandwiches and surveyed his fiancée sitting opposite of him. There was no telltale blush in her cheeks to betray her, nor there any other sign to indicate that she was putting an act.

"Something wrong, my lord?" Callista's voice laced through his preoccupation. Blinking, Raphael found curious green eyes fixated his way. She was unconsciously leaning forward and his eyes unthinkingly dipped down to her décolletage.

Dragging away from such a provocative sight, he met her eyes. "Pardon?"

"Well, you seem distracted," she said softly. "Is there something bothering you?"  

Raking his brains for excuses, he eventually remembered one important piece of news he wished to impart onto everyone. "A week ago, I have instructed my housekeeper over at Greystone, Mr. Burbage, to ready the place for us. This morning I have received word that preparations had been made. Throughout the rest of your stay, we will reside at Greystone. We will leave tomorrow morning."