Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

As promised by Thornton, the voyage aboard The Seaflower was a pleasant experience. The crew which manned the vessel was dutiful and the cook prepared three warm meals every day. The accommodations aboard were admittedly luxurious compared to other vessels and yet modest, if compared to the usual standards of comfort Callista was used to, for she rarely had ever travelled by sea. And for that reason, he had willingly surrendered the master bedroom to her in hope that she would find the voyage less daunting. One of the luxuries provided by The Seaflower was the bed located in the master cabin which boasted stuffed feather mattress and was large enough to sleep three. For a brief moment Raphael wondered how on earth Thornton managed to haul in that monstrosity below deck and into the bedroom. 

 Despite its size and a few stops it needed to make along the way, the vessel made good time by the time it arrived at the port in Denmark. The wind and waves were kind to them and for that Rafe was grateful. He had feared for Mrs. Applewhite's fragile health, he often found himself thinking, as he watched her tottering about above deck, hand in hand with Callista in an effort to elevate boredom.

Stepping above deck, Raphael took in the salt scented air and the sight and sounds of the port of Copenhagen. Next to the Seaflower, near a dozen ships of different sizes was anchored dockside, with gangplanks serving as walkways connecting the dock to the moored ships.  Seamen were going about their business as usual, hauling goods of trade off ships, rolling barrels and shouldering crates of wood. Raphael listened to the din which accompanied most prosperous trading ports; the shouts of many foreign tongues, cries of bargain between merchants and bellows of orders from captains to their underlings. The port of Copenhagen was a busy place; lively with merchants, seamen and commonfolks alike.

Once they have made port and the Seaflower securely anchored and tied to the dock, Raphael went ahead and instructed one of the crewmen to bring their luggage onto the dock and to arrange a carriage to bear them to Callista's grandparents. The squat, wind burnt faced seaman nodded and lumbered off after money sufficient enough for the fare had been handed to him.

Callista stepped onto the bustling dock in a yellow colored ensemble which drew all of his attention to her person. With a flick of her wrist, she opened her parasol to shield her from the mild afternoon sun. Clinging onto her arm was Mrs. Applewhite. At first, Callista was silent, green eyes taking in the sights and sounds of the busy harbor as he just did. Then, she marched over to him with her chaperone in tow.

She turned to him. "Are we waiting for someone, my lord?"

Raphael drew a golden watch from his pocket to check the time, a poor excuse to take his eyes off Callie's. It was quite beyond him, but he could have sworn that Callista had grown lovelier as time passed them by. On board the Seaflower, thanks to her routine walks on deck, her skin had earned a sunkissed glow. Even the faint spray of freckles about her sharp little nose and cheeks had grown endearing to him. His thoughts were a poetic mess these days, Raphael wondered what on earth was wrong with him. "I've instructed one of the crew to arrange for a carriage which will transport us to your grandparents."

"How helpful of you, my lord. Thank you." Callie replied with a smile.

"It is best that you stay below deck in your compartments until the carriage arrive, my lady. I fear the portside is a hot and humid place, not at all too comfortable." Raphael advised her while his eyes held her face, silently counting her freckles in his mind.

Callie's lips curved into a smile. "Maybe I shall stay a little while longer. The wharf seems such a lively place."

"It is that." Raphael agreed. Sea side ports are generally a busy place and there are many interesting things to be observed if one was willing to stand the heat of the sun beating down on their heads and back.