9: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 9

The rest of the week passed slowly but Friday night was finally here.

Today at school Blake and piper had invited me to go see the new chick flick romantic comedy at the movies tonight but I declined since I had to work.

You see, I would have asked Annie if I could change my shift but tonight I was already working a rearranged shift. Last Friday I was supposed to be working a six hour night shift but since Piper had a dance recital I had gotten the shift changed to this Friday. I didn’t mind that much that I was missing the movie as Piper and Blake would probably give me a run through of the whole movie when I saw them tomorrow.

Also, I hadn’t really talked to Jett for the rest of the week. After that time on Tuesday in the hallway I had felt kind of stupid so I didn’t initiate any conversation with him in English. Sure, we had spoken a bit before class started each day but not like usual. We mostly just greeted each other and see how the others day had been going so far.

Currently, I was having an internal battle inside of my head. Since I was working at the coffee shop tonight I wanted Jett to show up so we could talk, however, with the awkwardness that has been in the air for the past couple days I didn’t know if I wanted him to show up.

I stopped my internal battle and decided that I’d deal with the situation if or when Jett showed up at the shop tonight.

After grabbing one of the chocolate chips cookies from the counter in the kitchen, I quickly checked the clock to see that my 5:00 shift started in 10 minutes. I grabbed my car keys and my jacket and headed outside to my car.

I arrived at Kaffeine right on time for my shift. Nobody was working alongside Annie before my shift so instead of waiting for a worker to clock out, all I had to do was clock in to record the time I got here and head out behind the counter.

“Hey kid, you have a good week?” Annie asked while leaning against the counter.

The coffee shop was currently empty with the exception of a middle aged woman drinking a coffee in one of the front booths while working.

I shrugged. “It was fine, nothing extraordinary happened.” I replied, leaning back against the opposite counter.

Annie nodded. “And, how’s that boy and you getting along?” she asked, wiggling her eyebrows slightly.

“First of all, I don’t think that a woman such as yourself should be wiggling your eyebrows like that, that lady over there may get the wrong idea,” I replied sarcastically, “and secondly, there’s nothing going on between me and Jett.”