39: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 39

The next few days felt like some of the longest of my life.

Jett had left shortly after planning my party on Friday afternoon, leaving me alone with my massive pile of homework. As I thought, my homework took well into Saturday afternoon to complete, and that doesn’t include the English project that I hadn’t even started yet.

Nobody had bothered me the entire weekend, which in a way, was a very good thing, allowing me to focus on my school work and not be bothered by any outside distractions.

Sunday afternoon I was just in the kitchen getting a snack after giving up on my presentation for the night when I heard the front door open. Now usually I wouldn’t be curious but seeing as both my aunt and uncle were upstairs at the moment, I wondered who would be coming over at this time in the afternoon when I was seeing all of my friends in a few hours.

Yes, today was my 18th birthday. Waking up this morning, I felt the exact same, actually forgetting about my birthday again until I picked up my phone and saw the birthday texts all my friends had sent me; wishing me a great day and saying they’ll see me tonight at Jeffery’s.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand, I was leant up against the kitchen counter as I heard two sets of footsteps headed in my direction and imagine my surprise when I saw my brother and Kara walk through the kitchen.

“Happy Birthday!” he said, throwing his duffle bag down on the floor as he spread his arms wide, waiting for his hug.

I let out an excited screech as a smile formed on my face and I ran around the island to throw myself into my brother’s arms. “What are you doing here?” I asked, pulling out of his arms quickly to give Kara a hug as well.

“Well?” I asked, standing in front of them with a smile plastered on my face and my hands resting lightly on my hips.

Max smiled at me while he pulled Kara closer to him by throwing his arm around her. “You didn’t really think that we’d miss your birthday did you? Let alone your 18th silly girl; we’re here to celebrate!” he replied happily.

“You guys know you didn’t have to do that right?” I asked, letting my arms fall to my side as I smiled at them. “Don’t you guys have classes tomorrow?”

They both shrugged, as if getting an education was less important than a silly little birthday. “We’re going back tomorrow so it’s not a big deal if we miss one day of classes, we’ll both catch up but we wanted to celebrate with you.”

I smiled at them warmly. I really hoped they would stay together because Kara was actually a friend of mine now and I really didn’t want to have to give that friendship up if they ever split. “You guys are awesome.” I stated with a smile.