Part 7: Stolen Time

Justin baby?

Yes momma?

Christa is coming to see you today ok?

Ok momma. Is she gonna pork-ee-pine me today?

I'm not sure honey. I didn't  get a chance to talk to her since last time she was here.  Do you not want her to? Does it hurt too bad?  If it isn't helping anyway I can ask her not to do it. Does it make you feel any better baby?

Yes momma. At first I didn't like it because it kind of pinches when she puts the things in my back but when she showed me in the mirror and told me I looked like a pork-ee-pine, then I liked it.

Ok honey, but what I mean is, does it take away any of the pain. After Christa treats you does it make you feel better?

A little bit. For a little while after she leaves I don't feel so tired and I don't hurt as much as before.

Ok honey. I'll tell her to go ahead and porcupine you. I mean acupuncture you. You are so silly baby! Hey, maybe Christa will make you some of that herbal medicine tea you like so much huh? That would be nice right?

Yes momma, it tastes like cherries and sugar. It makes my head hurt less too momma.

                        *Ding-Dong*

Oops, there she is baby. I'm gonna go let her in ok?  If she tells you to move onto the couch so she can treat you no whining ok? I know you hate to leave your chair.  And look at all the handprints you have on that window. I'll have to clean that mess up after Christa leaves.

Christa had come to treat Justin at apartment 3B for the last 3 months of his life. She wasn't a doctor of any sort but more of a natural healer. When Joanna had gotten the terrible diagnosis from Justin's doctor she had refused to accept it. She took Justin to many different doctors and traveled many hours to have him seen by cancer specialists in large university hospitals. When one by one they had confirmed the doctor's prognosis she had all but lost hope. Every doctor told her bad news. They told her that Justin had the cancer running through his body. It was in his bone marrow, in his bloodstream and in his brain. His organs had already been so ravaged by the disease that even a single round of chemotherapy would kill him. Her only choice was to take him home and try to make the best of the time he had left.

When all other avenues of treatment had been exhausted Joanna turned to Christa. Her mother had heard of a healer and called her to see if she would be willing to see Justin and tell them if there was anything she thought she could do for him. The first time Christa came to apartment 3B she placed her hands on Justins head and told the boy to be very still and quiet. She closed her eyes and made a face of pure concentration, After several minutes she opened her eyes and the women noticed a tear slide down her cheek. She told Joanna that she was very sorry to give her bad news like everyone else but that from what she just felt of Justin's spirit the doctors were correct. 

Such a vile disease, she told the women when Justin was out of earshot. It has a hold of him, a hold I can't break. I can treat him with  accupunture and herbal remedies. I have a vast array of natural substances that will make him more comfortable and feel less pain.  I wish I could tell you that I can heal him, but I can't. I don't want to give you false hope.  I will come here once a week and teach Justin to get in touch with his aura, his Chi as they call it in Asia. He can take some homeade remedies and try to keep the pain at bay.  I could feel a lot of pain, Joanna, It is just starting but he will be in very bad pain, that I can assure you.  I promise I will do everything in my power to make sure he is comfortable from here on in. Don't worry about my fee. I'm not going to charge you for my services. You have enough on your mind as it is.