Part 6: Justin and Carey, most best friends.

Joanna was in her bedroom putting away laundry she had just folded when her mother came in.  Her mother called out her name and when she got no response walked down the hall to the master bedroom.

     Joanna, Didn't you hear me calling you?

Sorry mom, I heard you, I just, well.....she started to tear up and was unable to finish her sentence.

Oh Jo, What's wrong?  Just one of those days or did something happen?

Joanna reached up to her neck and put her fingers around a colorfull necklace made of plastic beads her mother had not even noticed she was wearing.  She rubbed her fingers on the beads and twiddled them between her fingers.

Jessica stopped by today with her daughter Carey. Do you remember Carey, mom? She used to be here all the time. She even came around when Justin was sick.

Oh yes, I do. Sweetest little girl I ever saw. A bit hyper, but very smart. She was Justin's best friend. I remember her well. What did they stop by for honey?

Well mom, Carey said she was cleaning some of the old toys out of her toybox to make room for the new ones she is going to get, you know, Christmas coming and all.  Well, when she got to the bottom of her toybox she found this necklace.  It's one that Justin made at her house when he was playing there and she wanted me to have it. Such a sweet little thing that girl.  She told me that Justin said that day that he had made the necklace for me................

Hey Justin, guess what?

What Carey?

My necklace is done and it's cool, just like me!

Mine is done too Carey, and mine is beautiful just like my momma. I'm gonna give this to her.  She likes things with lots of pretty colors.

But Justin forgot to take it home that night mom.  It must have gotten thrown in the toybox when Jessica was cleaning up after the kids.  It remained there until just this afternoon.  She asked her mother to bring her here right away so she could give it to me.

Thats beautiful Joanna. That little girl has such a big heart, and so smart for her age.  I remember how cute she and Justin used to be together.  They used to play for hours together in that bedroom.  Remember how Justin would want to play matchbox cars and Carey would want to play Barbies or dollhouses?  They always came to a compromise though didn't they?............

Hey Justin, guess what?

What Carey?

I wanna play Barbies.  We can put different dresses on her and this one has hair that changes colors if you put water on it.

I wanna play racecars Carey. I don't really like Barbies.

Hey Justin , guess what?

What?

We could play both!  We can pretend that we both drive a racecar during the day, like for our jobs, then when we get home we can be Barbie and Ken! How bout that?

Ok, that does sound fun.

Justin and Carey spent the rest of the afternoon pushing cars around the floor making racecar noises followed by playing with Carey's Barbie and Ken doll.  Justin didn't really like the time they spent playing with the dolls but he didn't want Carey to get mad and go home. Carey just as much didn't like the time they spent playing with the racecars but she loved being with Justin and would rather do that then have leave adn spend the rest of the day with no one to play with.

After Justin got sick Carey would sometimes still come to apartment 3B to play and be around Justin. Justin was usually too worn out to play anything too exciting but Carey still would come and spend time with her friend.  Times when Justin had to take his medicine and fell asleep on his chair by the window Carey would go in the other room and play with her Barbies or watch tv till Justin woke back up. 

Carey had come over to play one day near the very end.  Justin was very worn out by this point and barely looked like the same vibrant, funloving boy she had known before the illness. However, it seemed the sicker Justin became, the more understandingCarey became. She never complained about the situation and Joanna thought it was good for Justin to have her there so he could have someone his own age and looking at things from the same perspective as him to talk to.  This time when Carey came to play they didn't play at all.  No Barbies, no racecars, no compromises.  Justin could hardly get up from his chair by the window so Carey spent the entire day sitting next to him watching the outside world. Justin sat in his chair with his hands on the glass looking at everything that was going on just outside his door.  Once in a while when Justin got too tired and started to doze off Carey would softly lift his head up off of the windowsill and lay her friend back on the chair. When he awoke she would help him sit forward and take his tiny hands in her equally tiny hands and place them on the glass so that he could hold himself up.

Look Carey, Mr. Wilson is coming by.  He usually jogs by around now.  Knock on the window so he can wave to us.

Carey did as her friend suggested and tapped her fist on the glass.  Mr. Wilson was wearing headphones and did not hear her tapping but looked up at the window anyway. Mr. Wilson ran with headphones on everyday but over the last few months he never once missed looking up at Justin's window so he could wave to the boy.  Mr. Wilson smiled and waved and the kids waved back. Carey waving frantically and Justin barely lifting his hand from the glass and opening and closing his fingers.

When it was getting late Carey knew her mother would be coming soon to take her home.  She looked over at Justin and saw he was barely keeping his eyes open.  He had taken his medicine not long ago and she knew he would be sound asleep soon.  She wanted to tell him something before he nodded off.......

Justin?  Guess what?

What Carey?

You're my most best friend.

You're my most best friend too Carey.

Hey Justin, guess what else?

What else Carey?

I love you.

I love you too Carey.

With all the strength he could muster Justin placed a kiss on his most best friend's tiny little cheek.  She then placed a kiss on Justin's tiny little cheek. As Carey stood up from the chair by the window she saw that Justin had already fallen fast asleep.  She grabbed the blanket from the back of the couch and covered up her most best friend's withered little body. So frail, so sick, the body of a dying little boy.  As she placed the blanket on him she also placed another heartfelt kiss on his cheek.  Even though he could not hear her she told him.......

Justin, guess what? You are always gonna be my most best friend, for my whole life, always.  She heard Joanna calling from the front door telling her that her mother was there to pick her up.  Walking to the door she stopped to wipe the tears that had begun to fall from her eyes and run down her face to her chin.  Her mother scooped her up and carried her out the door.  That was the last time Justin and Carey ever saw each other. Justin had died just a week later.

You see the back of the necklace mom?  See? Carey told me Justin didn't  know how to put a clasp on it so he had just tied a knot in the lace to hold the beads on.  She told me she knew how and would do it for me so that I could take the necklace on and off.  I told her that wouldn't be necessary because I would never be taking it off.  I told her Justin was very lucky to have her as a friend for so long and you know what she told me......

Miss Joanna? Guess what?

What Carey?

I'm the lucky one. Justin was my most best friend and he still is.  He's my most best friend for my whole life no matter what happens.  I wish he was still here Miss Joanna I miss him really bad.

Me too Carey. Hey Carey? Guess what?

What Miss Joanna?

You're still Justin's most best friend too.

Carey let a huge smile work its way onto her face then took her mother be the hand and walked out of the apartment. 

 Joanna's mother touched the necklace around her daughter's neck and couldn't help but start to cry.

Joanna,  that little girl has such a big heart. And so, so smart for her age.