Handprints on the Glass part 4-A just and beautiful queen

Friday night after the dishes were done and Mark had changed into his pjs and brushed his teeth Joanna asked him if he wanted to watch any particular show on the tv.  Being a weekend and no school in the morning Mark was normally allowed to stay up past his weekday bedtime of nine thirty. She picked up the remote and switched on the guide.  As she went through the various channels Mark usually watched she read off the programs to her son. He shook his head no at every one.

Well if you don't wanna watch tv what do you want to do? Maybe play a board game? Or are ya too scared? Your momma always creams you at connect four!

Mark giggled at her joke then a more serious look came over his face.  He looked like maybe he was about to cry.

Momma?

What is it baby? What's the matter?

Well nothin, really. I just..........I just wanted to ask you something but I don't want you to get upset.  If you have to say no I will understand.

Sure Marky, just tell me honey. What is it?

Can we read The Just and Beautiful Queen together?

At the mere mention of this book title Joanna could feel a lump form in her throat.  This short fairy tale had been Justin's absolute favorite.  Many nights Joanna would sit on Justins bed and read this story to the boys. Mark would get out of his bed and sit with his mother and brother in order to be able to see the silly little pictures.  Most nights both boys would fall asleep before the story was done and Joanna would stop reading and pull the covers over them and kiss their little faces. She would quietly leave the bedroom so as not to wake up the sleeping brothers.  At least twice a week Justin would ask for this book to be read when it was his turn to pick the nights reading.

Ok honey, we can read The Just and Beautiful Queen together.

Are you sure momma?  You won't get too sad?

Of course not honey. Its a silly fairy tale, not sad at all.

I know momma, but it makes me think about Justin. I thought it might make you think about Justin too.

Well you know what honey, even if it does, I still think we should read it.  Your brother loved it and If it gets too hard we will just stop and if we cry a little thats ok right?  If I start to cry just make sure you hug your momma and if you start to cry you better believe I'll be huggin you ,ok?

Ok momma, I'll go get it .

Joanna and her son curled up on the couch and pulled a blanket up over their legs. Joanna started reading;

Once upon a time there was a great big land called Wattington.  Wattington was divided up into ten smaller villages and each village was the home of many many creatures.....

As Joanna read the story she started to remember reading this story to both of the boys years earlier.......

Each and every village in Wattington had its own Queen to watch over all of the creatures and make sure everyone was happy.   The Queen in Village number ten was called Queen....

Justin, do you remember the name of the queen of village number ten?    Queen......?

Queen Elena!!!!!!!!!

As Justin shouted out the name he jumped to his feet and threw his hands in the air.  The most Justin beautiful queen in all the ten villages!!!! 

Joanna giggled at his pronunciation.

Not Justin beautiful honey, just AND beautiful. Queen Elena was the most just AND beautiful queen in all the ten villages.

What's just mean momma?

Well honey, it kind of means she was nice. You know, fair and good.

Oh, ok momma. Now KEEP READING!

Now every weekend the creatures would all line up at Queen Elena's door and she would give them their task for the week.

What's the task momma?  This was Mark with the question now.

It's like a job honey. Like if I tell you to clean up your room or put your clothes away. Understand?

Yes momma!!!!!! screamed both boys in unison.

The first to get his task was Mr. Rabbit.  Good day Mr. Rabbit,

Good day Queen Elena. I have come to accept my task for the week.

Now some of the queens of Wattington were not as nice as queen Elena and they would give their subjects hard work to do.  Some were made to clean the castle floors and others would be sent to tend to the royal gardens. Queen Elena however was so beautiful and so just that none of the creatures of  village number ten ever feared coming to the castle to get their task.

Mr Rabbit?  Your task is to go into the royal garden and pick as many carrots as your basket can hold.  Take them home and  make a giant pot of carrot soup for you and your family. Mr Rabbit, do you accept your task? 

I do Queen Elena, far be it for me to argue with such a just and beautiful queen.

 Ok Mr. Rabbit, you are excused. Mr. Rabbit then bowed to Queen Elena and ran off towards the garden to start his harvest.

Next on Queen Elena's list was Mr. Horse. Good day Mr. Horse.

Hello Queen Elena.

Mr. Horse? Your task is to go to the royal blacksmith with your family and have him put new shoes on each and every one of you. Mr. Horse? Do you accept your task?

I do Queen Elena, far be it for me to argue with such a just and beautiful queen.

Ok Mr. Horse, you are excused. Mr. Horse then trotted off to gather up his wife and children for their new shoes with a big smile on his face.

Looking up from the book Joanna could see that once again both boys had fallen asleep while she read.  She rubbed Mark's head and woke him then she picked up Justin and held him.

C'mon Mark, time for bed. You guys fell asleep again.  Mark groggily shuffled towards the boys' bedroom and Joanna followed right behind with Justin sound asleep in her arms.  Mark crawled into his bed and instantly fell back to sleep.  Joanna kissed Justin on his head then went over to Mark's bed and kissed him as well.  Good night boys, I love you. she still said although both sons were in dreamland.

Momma.

 Momma .

MOMMA!

Joanna opened her eyes to see Mark pulling on her shirtsleeve.

You fell asleep before it ended momma.

I'm sorry honey. I'm just so sleepy.

It's ok momma. I'm really sleepy too.

Ok honey lets get you into bed, alright.

Mark shook his head at her and they started toward the bedroom.  As Mark was climbing into his bed Mark said to his mother.

Momma? If you could go see Queen Elena I wish she would tell you to get better.  I wish she would tell you that you can leave the apartment and that you dont have to cry all the time. That's what I wish the most just and beautiful queen in all the ten villages would tell you was your task.

I know honey, I know. And far be it for me to argue with such a just and beautiful queen.