t h i r t y n i n e

"otto, i'm really not in the mood to go out. especially after you crawling through my window at god knows what time in the morning. i was getting decent sleep!" awsten complained, even though he had already showered, and was pulling on a shirt as he said that.

"i don't care! i'm getting you up and out, and we're gonna have a good day." otto said. even though the group had agreed that otto could tell awsten what was happening if he refused to leave the house, otto was determined to keep this whole thing a secret - until otto had awsten where he needed to be.

"why can't we do it another day? i planned to sleep and eat food and watch movies today." awsten pouted, and otto smiled in response. he knew that he wouldn't have to tell awsten, he was practically ready by now.

"because it's booked. we can't change the date. i don't want you to miss it. so get your lazy ass out of this room and let's get going." otto replied. awsten just sighed and rolled his eyes in response, but left the room nonetheless.

"where the hell are we going?" awsten asked, as soon as he got into the passenger side of otto's car. otto just smiled and gave awsten a look.

"you know i'm not gonna tell you that."

"this is the first time i've gone outside of my house in the last three months and i don't know where i'm going. great." otto just laughed as a response to that.

"i hate to sound like a mother, but you'll see when we get there. and i promise you that you'll love it - it's a nice surprise." otto said, a few minutes later. he didn't want awsten to be in a bad mood. in the last three months, the only people that awsten had spoken to were otto and kellin. he'd pretty much cut himself off from the newer people in their friend group. otto thought it was kind of sad - but he knew it wasn't awsten's fault.

"you always sound like my mother." awsten said, rolling his eyes.

"you really have no idea where we're going?" otto asked. he was genuinely surprised that awsten had stuck to his 'no social media until i'm healthier' policy. he was always on the internet. he would of heard about this and would've had motivation to get out of bed some days if he knew what he was doing today.

"no. i told you, i don't know anything about what's going on online anymore. i'll probably go back to instagram in a month or two though. i really think my mental health is improving. i just need to socialise a bit more, and i'll be over this dip. so, i guess i want to say thank you for dragging me out of bed this morning. i guess i just needed a push to go out and do something social." awsten said. "wait, that got all sappy. sorry."

"nah, don't worry about it. i'm glad you say these things to me. i can try and drag you out of bed every morning at five if it helps?"

"maybe not that early."

and they both laughed. and to be honest, it was the first genuine feeling of happiness that awsten had experienced in the last few months. sure, he'd laughed at videos, but being with otto was different. otto was his friend. otto made him laugh. and that's all that matters.

~~~~~

a/n - pure best friends chapter!!