Chapter Eighteen

They rang the doorbell.

"In the backward," yelled a female voice. "Go around."

Jack led Sue through the driveway onto the side where a white gate hung loosely. When he pushed it, it creaked. He indicated to Sue the woman who was kneeling in the dirt. When she saw her guests, a smile softened her features, and she got up to welcome them.

"We're sorry to disturb you," apologised Sue. "You have beautiful flowers."

"I just love potting around," said the woman who was somewhere in her later forties, early fifties. "I don't get many visitors middle of the afternoon." She gestured towards the patio. "Have a seat, hun, before you pop that baby out onto the lawn. What can I do for you?"

"Are you Sonya Whelan?"

"Last time I checked. Why? Did I win something?" She wiped her hands on a towel, grinning mischievously.

"No, Mrs. Whelan. I'm afraid that's not the reason we're here. It's about your mother."

"Oh." That sobered her up. "Are you with the nursing staff? Did she take a turn for the worse?"

"No, I'm Matt Johnson. I'm a writer. And this is my wife, Becky," he presented, Sue nodding at the woman. "While doing research for a book, and I stumbled onto an old mystery. Twenty-one years ago, two children disappeared in the woods near your parents' cabin. And after talking to your mother this morning, we think she might know what happened to them."

As he spoke, he watched the woman fighting to keep her expression neutral.

"Except, she wasn't making that much sense," continued Sue, who noticed Sonya's trembling hands, reaching to hold the woman's hands into hers. "She has mentioned the children to you, hasn't she? Sonya, what became of the children?"

Sue asked very gently, torn between the desire to know, and the possibility it might just break her heart.

"For twenty-one years I dreaded this moment," Sonya admitted, tears silently forming in her eyes. "Strangely, I only feel relief. Maybe it's a sign it's finally time for me to share this huge secret."

They watched as the woman struggled to regain control of her emotions. It surprised them when she reached for a cordless phone on the patio table.

"No need to call the police, Mrs. Whelan," said Jack. "We will leave if you ask us."

"No... no police... though I supposed I should call them too," she said, taking rasped breaths.

"We're not here to get anyone arrested either," assured Jack.

"That may change," she said, her voice faltering. "You wouldn't mind if... if I invite my children to come over, I don't think I could go through the story twice."

Sue smiled kindly. "Not at all. We're in no hurry."

"Thank you." She made the calls in plain view of them. "My daughter was home, she will be here shortly." A shy smile curling up her lips. "She lives only a few streets over. She took the day off because she had a doctor appointment this morning. She's a banker. Such a smart girl. And my son shouldn't be long either. He works at a mechanic shop for the summer to pay for college. He will take a break," she informed them, her hands unconsciously playing with the phone.

"What is he studying?" inquired Sue, hoping to calm the woman.

"I should know, shouldn't I?" She laughed nervously. "It has to do with designing more efficient engines, less pollution, and needing less gas. It has a fancy name, about that long," she said, her hands spacing out. "I have been a very bad hostess. Please, come inside, we'll be more comfortable."