Chapter Fourteen

In the arrival terminal, Myles checked the announcement board.

Five flights would be arriving at approximately the same time. He noted the airlines and the flight numbers. If Connors came through that gate within the next twenty minutes, Myles needed to make sure Connors was coming from Singapore, not one of the other four international destinations.

He waited, a newspaper in hand. He knew it was an old trick, but it still remained highly effective. He wasn't that worried about Connors spotting him. The airport was crowded. If his shadow hadn't been attached to himself, Myles would have been at a loss to find it.

He stood behind a pillar watching the passengers who walked out. As some passed by him, he inconspicuously read their luggage tag. When Myles noticed the first SIN, he knew the passengers from Singapore were starting to disembark. People needing assistance would come out last.

He lifted his newspaper, partially hiding his face. He saw the flight attendant first. She was a tall young woman with short black air. She was pushing a wheelchair. Myles peeked over the crowd, only to make eye contact with a frail old lady.

Myles resumed his surveillance. Another wheelchair came into view. This one was unattended. Myles immediately recognised his demeanour. Connors obviously was searching the crowd for someone or something. Myles retreated behind the pillar while keeping an eye on the Assistant Director.

He saw an apologetic airline representative approach Connors with a suitcase. For a moment Myles wished Thomas was here to eavesdrop on the conversation. Connors looked furious, and Myles expected the poor woman to burst out crying at any time. When he was done verbally abusing her, the assistant director rudely pulled his suitcase from her grip, sending something flying in the air. Myles watched him roll away, while the woman bent down to retrieve the item.

Myles was by her side before she stood up again.

"Let me, please," he said, closing his hand around the tag she held. "I couldn't help but notice how unpleasant that man was. Does he have a name so I can report him?"

"Mr. Brown is not worth your effort," she said, letting go of the tag before he crumpled it in his hand. "But I thank you." She smiled kindly at him. "You just brightened my day. Have a nice trip wherever you're flying."

"It was my pleasure," Myles said, meaning it in every sense of the word.

Myles purposely walked by a garbage can, sticking his hand inside before placing both hands in his pocket, just in case the airline representative was watching him. He fingered the tag while walking across the terminal, entering the first available bathroom. Only then did he take a closer look at the torn luggage tag.

A smile slow curled up his mouth. SIN, NRT, LAX. Singapore, Tokyo, if he correctly recalled his Asian airports, and Los Angeles.

Next step was to figure out why Assistant Director Connors was such a frequent flyer, thought Myles, as he read through the departure board to find the next available flight to DC.

There was a Delta flight leaving in fifty-five minutes. If he was lucky, he would be landing in DC in less than seven hours.

***

Each night added a new detail to the dream. After three weeks, the neon sign displaying the word "BAR" in flashing red letters grew bigger and eventually encompassed the picture of a man.

"What did you see last night?" Jack asked after a lingering morning kiss that left her mind delightfully foggy. "Anything interesting?"

He wasn't sure what to attribute the dark shade of red that was quickly spreading to her face. Was it his wandering hands or his question? Either way, it would make for an interesting next hour.