Chapter Twenty One

Jack and Sue were happy to see D in attendance. D greeted them warmly, knowing nothing more than them about the meeting with the director himself.

After the Director resumed Connors' downfall, he made commendations. First to Garrett who couldn't wait to resume his retirement life, then to the fine team he gathered, each member being offered choice assignments.

The Director paused briefly to observe Gans, Hudson and Thomas before continuing.

Despite splitting their team, Manning, Williams and Leland had kept investigating secretly and played a major role in solving the case, their integrity and loyalty highly impressing the director. When asked about their preference, they all stated only one choice, being reunited with their team.

The Director had lifted the provision against married couple working together, and granted the assignments, which brought him to the supervisor issue. When asked if he suspected his three agents' illicit investigation, Gans didn't deny knowledge, revealing instead he did his best to conceal it and protect them as much as he could despite the position he found himself in.

When the Director hinted he would prefer if Gans relinquished his supervisor position, D didn't flinch, even silencing Jack's protestations. His conscience was clear, he told the Director, he did what was right for the right reason, he could, and would, live with the consequences.

"Even if the consequence, Agent Gans, is the position vacated by Connors?" the Director offered, arching his brow as he waited for an answer.

"Sir, I--" At loss for word, D wondered if he didn't misinterpret the offer, the smile around the conference table confirming he didn't. "Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

"Now, Hudson and Thomas," the Director said, opening a thick file in front of him.

"Hudson and Thomas-Hudson, sir," corrected Jack. If they were in trouble might as well fall all the way down.

"You're married?" the Director stated, consternation written all over his face.

"That would be correct, sir," Jack confirmed, reaching under the table for Sue's hand.

"I see your team really makes an habit of breaking the rules, Agent Hudson."

"Only the ones we deem--" The word died on his lips as the Director stared intently at him.

"Well, this is about to change, Agent Hudson," the Director announced. "From what I can see, you risked your cover by investigating a murder case that--"

"An innocent man was in prison for--"

"Is interrupting every minute another one of your bad habits, Agent Hudson?"

"Sorry, sir," Jack apologised, forcing himself to lean back in his chair.

"For some obscure reasons, Hudson, you carry the reputation of a man playing by the book. It never occurred to me you were reading a different version, and I fail to see the humour in it," he added, catching the lopsided smile Hudson exchanged with Thomas. "In light of your achievements, for a lack of a better word, I'm appointing you supervisor to your team. Your job will be to keep them in line and I expect you'll do a better job than your predecessors, Agent Gans and Agent Garrett." He smirked at the irony, drawing more smiles around the table. "Of course, your wife will be allowed to remain on your team."

"Thank you, sir," said Sue. "I will consider the possibility when I return from maternity leave."

The director's hand stilled in midair. "You're pregnant?"

"We have a newborn baby, sir," revealed Jack, seeing the blush rapidly spreading over his wife's features.

"A newborn? Okay, this meeting is adjourned," he said, dismissing everyone, as he closed the file in front of him, only letting his lips curl up once he was alone.