Chapter 7

"Tony? What is it?" Sketch asked him when they exited Manny's room. She was still riding on his head.
"It's a surprise. You'll find out sooner once we get there."
Sketch was surprised when Tony was close to the door leading to the outside world. She clutched Tony's head and ducked down, closing her eyes.
"What is it? Are you scared, little one?" he asked, laughing at her scaredy-cat attitude. Although it was adorable.
"I-I'm just not used to it!" Sketch protested, her voice muffled against his head.
"Alrighty, then. Open your eyes first. So you can get used."
Tony opened the door and cold air whooshed in, causing Sketch to hug Tony. Her little arms wrapped round his eyes.
"Hey, remove your wrists from my face, I can't see anything!"
"Sorry! I just felt cold!"
Tony sighed and took Sketch and just carried her.
"Open your damned eyes, Sketch. Nothing will hurt you. Nothing is scary."
Tony closed the door behind them with a slam.
Sketch's eyes fluttered open. She nestled tighter into Tony's arms and gasped.
"You see? It's beautiful!"
"I know! Even though the grass is green. I don't mind lying on it. It looks so soft and warm!"
For the first time, Sketch felt accepted. And that swiveling feeling.
Even though she accepted what she felt, what was it?
Sketch felt curious. She wanted to ask Tony. He knew everything. Emotions often dealt with time, right?
Tony laid Sketch down on the grass. He did too.
"What are those little glitters up in the sky?" Sketch asked, enjoying the view, but she was trying to distract herself from her emotions.
"They're stars," Tony said with a hint of amusement burbling in his voice. "See how they shine up there? See how many they are?"
"Yup, they're beautiful. Even more beautiful than my creativity!"
They went silent for a while, watching the clouds float across the night sky. Sketch never thought of watching the sky live. She only saw it on TV.
And now she was seeing the majestic sight right before her eyes.
Sketchbook did not feel Tony's arm wrapping around her. She also didn't knew that she cuddled in close.
"You know, Tony?" Sketch said, smiling. "You're a really good friend."
Tony felt like something had impaled in his heart. It was breaking. Sketch referred to him only as a friend.
But he decided to conceal it inside. He did not say anything. But Sketchbook noticed his hurt expression. She turned pale and hopped onto Tony's lap.
"Did I hurt you?" Sketch asked, her face contorting into sadness. "Please don't tell me I did! I'm so sorry!"
Sketch's palms balled into tiny fists. She felt tears blur her eyes. She slapped herself fiercely— right in front of Tony.
Do not cry. Do not cry.
"Sketch, please stop hurting yourself. It isn't your fault."
"But what if it is?"
"No, it isn't."
Tony let out a fake chuckle and stroked Sketch's head.
"Tony? I've got something to ask you."
"Mm. I'm listening."
"What's this complex feeling that I could not identify?"
"What does it feel like?"
"It's like... how can I explain it? It somehow feels like you're drawn to something. Like you're a metal and that guy's a magnet. Every time I get closer to him, I feel a sense of acceptance."
"I think I know what you're feeling." Tony gazed at her, smiling a bit.
"What is it? Tell me! I can't hold this feeling back anymore!" Sketch exclaimed.
"It's love."
"Then..." Sketch muttered.

"I love you, Tony!"