Chapter 3

A soft knock on Cas' bedroom door woke him up. As he stood up he realised he'd slept on the floor all night long, Charlie right next to him. He stretched and slowly walked towards the door to open it. He was greeted by Sam hugging him. It was that moment when Cas started to remember everything that had happened the day before.

He felt tears forming in his eyes but blinked them away. He didn't want to start crying again. "You want some breakfast?" Sam asked him quietly. "I made pancakes." This made Cas smile a little, but this smile soon faded. He looked back at Charlie, who was still sleeping like a baby. Cas nodded and followed Sam into the dining room. Although he didn't really feel like eating, Cas knew that it wasn't good for him to just hide in his room and drown in self-pity.

He was scared of seeing Dean, but he knew he couldn't hide forever. Cas also knew he would eventually have to accept it. With that thought he sat at the table where Sam placed a plate full of pancakes and maple syrup in front of him. It looked delicious. Sam was such a great cook and just as he wanted to grab his fork, Cas heard footsteps behind him.

"G'morning" Dean's voice sounded hoarse and deeper than usually. He had to be very tired. Cas felt his heart pound against his chest and his breath hitched. Sam muttered a 'morning' and shot a quick glance at Cas to see if he was still present. Dean didn't seem to notice and sat down next to Cas. He's been thinking about what to say all night long. That was why he was so tired. Dean secretly watched Cas cutting his pancake, which he finally started eating.

Apparently it wasn't that secret because a minute or two later, Cas whispered a 'what' in Dean's direction. "Cas look at me.." His voice was quiet and he sounded like he was about to cry. But when Cas turned his head in his direction, Dean gasped. The look on his face was a mixture of shock and horror and mostly sadness, Cas didn't understand it.

"Cas I'm so sorry..did..did I do this to you?" Now Cas was even more confused. Without a word he rushed out of the room and into his bathroom, locked the door and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He opened his mouth in surprise. His eyes were swollen and still a bit red from crying. His hair was a mess and he was still wearing the clothes from the day before.

'This is so embarrassing! Dean must think I'm obsessed with him!' At least he wasn't crying now. Therefore he washed his face hoping it'd help a bit and went back to continue eating his breakfast. When he sat down again Sam was gone and Dean was standing by the sink. As soon as he saw Cas his facial expression softened and he forced a smile. He looked like he was going to cry soon and..wait, he did cry. When Cas noticed the tears falling down Dean's cheeks he nearly started crying himself.

"Dean..." But before he could say more Dean ran towards him and hugged him as tight as he could. He never wanted to let go of his friend. His best friend. His angel. "I'm so sorry Cas I don't even know what to say. I don't want to lose you.." Cas knew Dean meant every word he said. That was why he forgave him. "It's okay Dean. I don't want to lose you either.." Dean let out a relieved breath. "I was so scared you wouldn't forgive me."

With these words the hunter let go of Cas and looked at him. Dean saw something in Cas' eyes. Something else than trust and friendship, he saw love. It was so familiar, he had taken it for granted although it was something so precious and special. Something so pure.

That's when he realised he was staring. But it didn't matter to him. He could stare into his eyes all day long and never get enough of it. How they would be shining when Cas was happy and how they would light up when Dean smiled at him. This angel might be the most important thing in Dean's life. "Am I disturbing you?" Sam's voice was firm and loud. Instead of flinching away, Dean slowly looked up at Sam. He was still paralyzed by the look in Cas' eyes. Finally he found his words. "Umm..no.."