Chapter 1

Camila sighs lightly as she sits down opposite the orphanage owner, feeling her heart hammering heavily in her chest. This was the third orphanage today and she was silently praying that this would be the one she'd find a little someone to take home with her.

After all, adding another orphanage to her list would only make her think that this wasn't meant to be and really, she didn't want that.

"Okay, so what child do you have in mind? Age, gender?" The orphanage owner, Cathy, brings her out of her thoughts, placing a small pile of papers onto the desk in front of her. Camila figures that was the list of children that currently lived here.

Running a hand through her hair, Camila forces a smile onto her face, "I'm not too fussed about gender if I'm honest" she admits, "but I'd like them to be relatively young so I could watch them grow up, just like any normal mother would"

She'd found out just a few years ago that she was unable to have kids biologically due to an incident that had happened when she was just five. The news had tore her apart, broke her to the point of becoming physically and mentally depressed. Having children had always been a dream of hers since she was young. Giving birth, dressing them in cute outfits, watching them reach all their milestones. To find out that that happening was next to impossible, she was devastated. She had soon snapped out of it though, knowing there wasn't any point of moping around when she still had plenty of options left.

Cathy nods and begins to skim through the small pile of papers, "we only have a few young ones here and I'm afraid one of them is already in the process of being adopted" she starts regretfully, "but we have Lauren. She's only been here a few months and the sooner we get her out of here the better"

"Why's that?" Camila takes the offered file, smiling at the little face that greets her.

"She's young miss Cabello. This isn't any sort of environment for her" the orphanage owner replies.

Camila nods, her eyes skimming over Lauren's information. She had just turned three years old and was brought here after being severely neglected and abused by her previous foster careers. Her parents had died when she was only a few months old, both in a fatal car accident. She suffers from night terrors, sever social anxiety. So young yet so damaged.

Blinking back tears, Camila looks up, "I'd like to meet her, if that's okay?" She places the file back down onto the desk in front of her.

Cathy smiles, taking the file and placing it back into the draw it was kept in, "Of course. Just give me a second and I'll go get her for you." She says kindly as she stands, making her way out of the small office and closing the door quietly behind her.

Now alone, Camila allows herself to take a deep breath. She was about to meet the child that would potentially be hers and honestly, she couldn't really believe it was actually happening.

Before she could dwell on it and make herself even more nervous, the office door opens again and in walks Cathy with a small child on her hip. Camila had to physically stop herself from cooing. She was tiny thing and if she didn't know her age and had to guess, she'd think her to be no older than two. She was dressed in a small overall dress, a long sleeved shirt and a while pair of tights underneath accompanied by a pair of adorable ugg boots.

"Hi baby" she greets in a soft coo as she slowly rises to her feet. At her close proximity, the young girl looks at her shyly yet unsurely, her fingers hanging from her mouth but much to the brunettes relief, she didn't seem scared, just curious.

"This is the nice lady I told you about, her names Camila. Can you say hi like a big girl?" Cathy introduces, shifting the tiny girl in her arms and reaching up to brush the too long bangs away from her face.

Lauren looks between the two woman for a second, but instead of replying verbally, she leans over and holds her arms out. Camila noticeably freezes, not at all expecting this but she was quick yet gentle to take the tiny girl into her arms, allowing her to settle against her chest a she shifts an arm to rest underneath her butt, supporting her.

"Hi lovely. Aren't you a brave girl mhhh?" She presses a hesitant kiss to her head, smiling a watery smile when the girl nuzzles close to her at the action. Her tiny hand clings to her shirt, the other remaining in her mouth for comfort and Camila couldn't help but let a tear fall down her cheek.

"I'll get the paperwork sorted" a soft voice interrupts.

Camila quickly brings her attention to her, her eyes wide with shock, "What do you mean?" She brings a hand to wipe off her cheek before once again resting it on the tiny girls back, trailing it soothingly up and down.

"A temporary fostering license" Cathy explains, "you want that mhh? Do you want to go home with Camila?" She wonders over to the pair, bringing her attention to the girl nestled contently against the woman's shoulder.

Lauren tightens her grip around the older Cuban at the question, taking in the soothing scent that filled her senses and the comforting sound of her heartbeat that fills her ears. For the first time in forever, she felt safe. Like nobody in the world could hurt her.

Camila tightens her grip around the tiny girl slightly as she watches Cathy begin to get the paperwork ready, not really understanding why she felt such a deep connection to someone she had just met. It was so unknown to her, yet, she wasn't really complaining. This was something she had dreamed of her entire life and finally, it was happening.

She was finally becoming a mother.

**

Tell me what you think, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Next chapter: 150 votes