Chapter Fourteen

Addiane dreamed of fire again that night. Every night since they had arrived, she would have a terrifying nightmare where the entire town was aflame, and unnatural silhouettes darting across from shadow to shadow.

Murtagh poked her awake. Addiane sighed and hauled herself to her feet. "Has he given you any more information?"

The Red Rider shook his head. "He stopped talking as soon as you left the room. Hasn't said a word in hours."

"Huh. Alright." She grabbed her sword and strapped it on. "Is someone with him right now?"

"Yeah, Eragon. You don't have to go down there and deal with him for a bit yet."

Addiane shrugged. "Not like there's much else to do, the sun's barely up."

"Fair enough."

She went downstairs to the kitchen. Eragon was watching Will as he fiddled with the knots on his wrists.

He shrugged when Addiane raised her eyebrows at him. "Might as well see what he's capable of, right?"

Will jumped a little and Addiane muffled a snort. She took the chair she'd been sitting in the first time she talked to him, setting it in front of Will.

"Hello again." He smiled cheerily. Addiane sat down and crossed her arms.

"No mood to talk?"

Addiane tilted her head. "That bruise looks nasty."

"No thanks to you. Didn't you throw the stone?"

"I did."

"Good aim." Will conceded, shifting.

Addiane just grunted, watching him quietly. She glanced at Eragon and had an idea suddenly.

"I could take care of it for you."

"I told you before, I don't trust that witchcraft of yours. I've dealt with sorcerers before and never has one been so convincing."

She rolled her eyes and sat back in the chair. "Fine."

After twenty minutes of silence, Eragon stood up. Addiane nodded to him and he walked out of the room.

"Just us?" Will quipped.

Addiane grunted. The beginning of a plan was forming in her mind, and she was trying to hash it out. She noticed Will's arms moving again and shot him a poisonous look.

"If you keep trying to untie yourself I'll go sit behind you where the others have been."

Will snickered and went still. Addiane watched him.

"How were you feeding your men?" She asked suddenly.

"Hm?"

"You were confused when Roran brought up the raids that have been taking food from his people. But you've got a large group with you. How have you been feeding them?"

He shrugged, the motion awkward with the way his hands were tied. "Hunting. Four of us."

She nodded slowly, then sat up and leaned forward, whispering a quick healing spell.

Will tried to flinch away from her, but the way he was sitting prevented it completely. Addiane healed the bruise on his forehead easily, then sat back again.

Again his arms tensed, like he was trying to touch his forehead.

"I healed you. Now I want you to listen to me."

Addiane got up, taking the small knife from the pile of things that they'd confiscated from Will. She walked behind him and crouched near his hands.