Chapter Ten

Addiane had a strange dream that night.

The forest was dark, except for the light of a campfire far away. A woman crouched on the edge of a cliff in the dark, staring out over the trees.

"Are you sure that's her?" A second woman asked, approaching the kneeling figure hesitantly. Addiane watched from her point of view, and could nearly feel the nervousness shaking her body. This was clearly someone powerful, and the woman working with her was terrified.

"Who else would voluntarily be out here? Travelling into the Spine without using main roads is nigh impossible, yet someone is attempting it. Why else, but to avoid detection?"

"The country has no shortage of rebellious characters who refuse to submit to the king." The standing woman pointed out.

Before Addiane could even blink, the woman at the cliff's edge was on her feet, pressing her companion against the rock wall behind them by her neck. Her consciousness flew away from the confrontation and hovered nearby, watching.

"Do not ever question me. The woman is down there. I can sense it."

"Yes, Lady Srerrafe."

Srerrafe. Addiane filed that away for future use. The name seemed vaguely familiar for some reason.

Srerrafe glared at the woman for another moment, then let go of her and turned away. She sagged against the rock wall, gasping for air.

Addiane floated back to the edge, staring over Srerrafe's shoulder.

There was something strange about this woman. Addiane couldn't figure out if it was her hair, or the way she moved. Maybe it was her skin? Or some tone in her voice?

She narrowed her eyes, watching Srerrafe. Then she slowly began to circle the other woman, trying to distinguish whatever it was that was putting her off.

As Addiane circled around so she could see the other woman's face, the moon suddenly emerged from behind a cloud.

She nearly screamed.

Srerrafe was thin, but muscled. She had the clear look of someone who was extremely strong and resilient. Her hair was crimson red, unnatural and fiery looking. Her pale skin contrasted greatly, but what was most unnerving were her eyes.

Blood-red eyes the color of wine, that sparkled with too much intelligence. This was no human being. Not anymore.

"A shade." Addiane whispered.

Srerrafe didn't seem to hear her. She narrowed her eyes, staring out into the night. She must have been focused on that campfire in the distance.

"You dare disrespect the Lord Morzan, Selena? I will kill you for that, and for attempting to destroy my legacy."

The nightmare began to fade, but Addiane clearly saw the female Shade place a hand on her stomach.

Her eyes flew open and she laid in her bedroll silently for a few moments, trying to reorient herself.

"Addiane?" Murtagh shuffled over, rubbing one eye with the heel of his palm. "Oh, you're already awake... your turn to take watch."

Addiane sat up slowly, nodding and trying to shake off the uncomfortable feeling in her chest.

There was something unsettling about that dream. Surely it couldn't be real, could it?

She shook her head and grabbed her sword, standing up and walking out to the edge of the clearing. There were more important things to do.

-----