Chapter Eight

There weren't many opportunities to talk while they flew during the day. Eragon and Saphira took the lead, with Murtagh and Thorn behind and to the left, then Addiane and Nyriem opposite them. Eragon would periodically communicate to them with hand gestures, a sort of sign language that all the Riders were taught. It was fairly easy to pick up on, and Eragon must have taught Murtagh most of the basics.

Addiane dozed in the saddle for most of the evening, and when they landed to rest the dragons a little, she puttered quietly around the campsite.

Eragon paced near the fire once they'd settled down, arms crossed over his chest tightly.

"There are just too many variables. He could have an infection, they could have come back to finish it, the arrow could have been poisoned-"

"I highly doubt that, Eragon." Murtagh shook his head.

"Well we don't know!"

"They took the arrow out and patched the man up, for the love of all that is holy! They clearly weren't trying to kill him."

"Well he could still get an infection."

Murtagh grunted. "Katrina would take care of him. She's smart and resourceful."

"He's not wrong, Shadeslayer." Addiane said softly, refolding a shirt that she'd accidentally pulled out of her bag.

"I knew bringing her was a good idea."

Eragon snorted and grabbed Murtagh's hand, dragging him to his feet. "Let's go hunting, we'll be sorry if we have to survive on rations for five days."

"Good point. Addiane, are you okay with staying here?"

She nodded, glancing over at her sword. "I might practice for a bit. Just don't sneak up on me when you come back."

The two nodded. Eragon grabbed his bow while Murtagh strung his, then they both walked off into the forest quietly.

Addiane stood and stretched, then went through the second level of the Rimgar. It was her favorite, the stretches were always extremely relaxing but she could still get ready to fight with it.

Naegling glinted brightly in the firelight as she drew it. There was no reason for her to put a block onto it, since she wasn't fighting anyone.

Addiane dropped into her traditionally defensive position and began to attack an imaginary opponent.

She focused hard on the image she was seeing in her mind, Seirye sneering derisively, and tried to find that power she'd felt earlier when she fought Murtagh.

She couldn't find it.

Addiane finally collapsed onto her bedroll, breathing heavily. She cursed to herself, then jumped about a foot into the air when a hand patted her shoulder.

Murtagh backpedaled easily to avoid the bare blade flashing at his side.

"I told you not to sneak up on me!"

"I didn't, we've been back in the camp for five minutes. You must have been really focused."

She huffed and looked down at her hands.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Murtagh crouched next to her.

"I was trying to figure out what happened during the training session earlier."

Murtagh nodded slowly, but Addiane saw him tense.

"You really had no idea what that was?"

She shook her head, shifting so she was sitting crosslegged.