Chapter Six

Murtagh was on his feet in an instant. "Eragon!"

As the Rider grabbed another object from his desk and brought his arm back, his half-brother dodged and grabbed him tightly from behind, pinning his arms to his sides.

Murtagh began to speak quietly to Eragon, and Addiane turned away to give them some privacy. She walked over to the other side of the room, expecting to have to clean up the mess from the vase, but it was sitting upright on the floor, the small box Eragon had thrown after it sitting on the ground next to it.

The box was cracked down the center, and as Addiane picked it up, the pieces of the lid fell aside to reveal a small bed of silk that had a ring nestled inside it. A brilliant blue gemstone sparkled in the top of it.

Addiane replaced the pieces of the lid carefully and picked up the vase as well, carrying both over to the desk and setting them down.

"Easy, Bromsson," Murtagh was saying softly. Eragon clung to him, shaking. Clearly the injury his cousin had suffered was affecting him seriously.

Addiane nodded to the Red Rider and silently let herself out of the room, walking quietly back to her quarters. That was not something she needed to intrude on, the brothers would help each other deal with the alarming nature of what they had just seen.

She dodged Samblar and Seirye as they walked down the hall, ignoring the she-elf's scathing comment as they passed each other. A moment later she heard footsteps following her quickly and slowed, expecting an annoying barb of some sort.

"Are you alright?" Samblar asked softly, falling in step with her. When Addiane looked up at him he was frowning, watching her closely.

She shook her head. "I just... saw something I didn't want to. I'll be okay, I'm just a little shaken up."

Samblar nodded slowly. "Well if you need anything, you now I'll get it for you, right Firelight?"

Addiane had to smile. "Yes, I do. Thank you, Sam."

"Of course. Just let me know and I will be there in a heartbeat."

"Oh go on, I know you and Seirye were planning on doing some sibling bonding. I'll be fine, I promise. And I will get ahold of you somehow if I change my mind."

Sam smiled and gave her a quick, one armed hug before running back down the hall to re-join his irritated looking sister.

Addiane continued on her way back to her room, falling back into her thoughts. When she opened the door to her quarters, she tossed her sheathed sword and sword-belt onto the bed, pulled off her armor, and climbed out the window onto the catwalks stretching between the rooms and the caves.

Nyriem was asleep when she snuck quietly through the cave opening. Addiane walked over to him, gently trailing her fingertips over the crest above his eye.

He snorted and shifted, but didn't wake up. She carefully crawled underneath his wing and tucked herself into a comfortable position.

For some reason, she felt most safe when she slept beside Nyriem. Maybe it was his rhythmic breathing and heartbeat, maybe it was the idea that he would sense danger long before she did. She wasn't sure.

"Poor Eragon." Addiane murmured to herself before closing her eyes.

-----

When Addiane woke up, Nyriem's snout was inches from her face. She jumped, startled, then laughed and shoved him away.

"What do you want, you great oaf?"