Peacock

I looked around the room wondering what weird experience next awaits for me. Then it occurred to me that I don’t have any appropriate dress for the upcoming ball, definitely what I brought with me wasn’t going work.

So, who is the best person around when it comes to fashion? Aleish!

I looked around again, how am I suppose to contact her without phone or internet... I don’t remember seeing a telephone booth nearby moreover I don't even have her number... great!

Near the second window wall of my room was a small studying table. Having a blank letter pad, ink and a quill pen.

I sat down examining the quill pen nib. Closed my eyes, thinking, writing with quill on a blank line less paper, handwriting going suck. Should I write with all those curves and designs or just the Times New Roman I chuckled.

Closing the door behind I started walking around if I could find someone to help me, to save myself just in case from any sort of embarrassment I hid the letter in my robe after all, there must be some telephone somewhere.

I saw a young maid walking by carrying a basket. She was wearing a brown old fashion gown with white apron and matching head covering.

“Excuse me,” I called out in mannered way. “Hey, wait up,” I called again, she stopped and turned around, seeing me there she immediately dropped the basket and started doing the curtsey gesture, “ Pardon me, Lady Minz... for not hearing your call” the young maid said nervously with pink bubbly cheeks.

“Relax, it's alright,” I assured her after all I am the one with letter hidden in my robe. I continued talking, “hmm.. Can you tell me where can I find a telephone here?”. To which she blinked, trying to figure out what I was asking for. “A telephone? ... internet?... mobile?” I gave her all options checking her expressions to see if she was laughing inside her head or she would just plainly pick one of the options.

“Forgive me, Lady Minz... I don’t know what you are asking for,” she said, lowering her eyes with pinkness spreading across her cheeks. Right old era no phone thanks God, I wrote the letter.

“I have a letter to post, how do we post a letter here?” I asked straighten up with a deep breath.

“Oh! You can ask one of the guards,” the maid answered with a lighten up smile like she sorted a complicated question. I looked at her, she must be around 20 she was slightly chubby not fat, but kind of cute, someone who would definitely hide from bullies if talking in high school context.

“No, I don’t want to hand it over to a guard... any other option, faster and more personal sort?” I said, slightly feeling the letter with my forearm side.I didn’t want any guard to open it and go through it plus, it would take time.

“There is one more option... but I won’t suggest it,” she said with nervous tone.“ Why not? What is it?” I asked.

“The bird way,” she answered with complete disapproval in her tone.

“The bird way?” I repeated, holding me laugh. “Now please don’t say they use owls here,” I joked. “Owls? No... Owls are very wise and  knowledgeable they won’t do such tasks,” she spoke in a very serious tone.

“Let me guess... a pigeon.. With a song to it? ” I engaged in communication with her, to which she responded if I was playing some sort of prank.

I thought for a second more, “ Falcon?” I posed it was the last bird that popped into my head.

“Falcons are pride full and we don’t have them around here because of the weather, visitors from the east use them a lot.” She answered. “Well then I give up... its not an owl... pigeon... falcon.. I don’t know!” I said running out of bird names who would be a perfect courier.