Marshall's Favorite

"And in top entertainment news tonight, Detroit native and Grammy winning artist Eminem seems to have found himself a new love interest." The anchor was saying and I narrowed my eyes as I turned to the T.V. I'd had it on in the background as I was dinking around in my house. Now, however, I was paying attention.

A picture of Rally and me flashed across the screen. It looked like the moment when I'd caught Rally to me just out of the limo. The picture suggested a deeper relationship than we had, because we were staring into each other's eyes, looking like we were intimate. The anchor continued speculating about the two of us when my phone rang.

"Hello?" I called, not looking at the caller I.D.

"Marshall and Rally sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G." Rally sang into the line, her voice full of laughter. I chuckled as I sat on my couch and looked at the ceiling.

"I'm pretty sure I only got a kiss on the cheek." I teased her and she laughed. I loved her laugh.

"Well, I figured since I made the first move, you could make the next." She said and I shook my head as I spoke. We were both teasing, but there was a serious undertone to our conversation from my perspective.

"You're absolutely right. But, I was left disheartened by the lack of my favorite dessert." I said, continuing the banter. Rally didn't say anything for a second and then I felt my phone vibrate with a message. I looked to see a text from her and opened it. I couldn't help the laugh as I looked at a dozen, frosted cupcakes.

"Never let it be said that I go back on my word." She said as I continued to chuckle. God, I felt buoyant when I talked to this woman.

"Where are you at?" I asked.

"Marco has me working with a studio here in Detroit on a couple of new songs, so I am the proud new tenant of an apartment downtown." Rally responded. "You should be honored – the first food I made in my new place was your dessert." She continued and I nodded.

"Well, seeing as you're now a resident of my hometown, I'd say it's time that I showed you around." I responded.

"That sounds like a great plan. I'll shoot you my address. Just let me know when you'd like to go out." She replied and my brows came together. That sounded like she didn't get that I was asking her out tonight.

"I'm picking you up at 7, baby girl." I said. She chuckled before she answered.

"You keep saying things like that, and I might get the wrong idea, Marshall." I shook my head as I responded.

"You should be getting the idea that I'm hoping for a proper kiss by the end of our date." I said.

"Wait. Really?" She asked, her voice hesitant.

"Of course, really." I answered, my voice firm.

"Oh, shit. I must sound like such a dumbass." She said, though it sounded like she was talking to herself at this point. "I thought you were just being nice the other night."

"Woman, you need to learn to pick up on cues better if you thought that me keeping my hand on your waist all night was because we're pals." I said, a little snippy at this point.

"Ugh," Rally said. "Alright. Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to pretend I figured that out on my own and I'm going to dress properly for a date with you tonight." She paused, her voice hesitant again when she continued. "That is, if you still want to?"

"Send me the address and I'll be there at 7, Rally." I said, my voice softer. I could tell she felt bad and I didn't want to make it worse, even if I couldn't fathom how she'd not gotten all the hints I'd practically hit her over the head with at that fundraiser.

"Okay," she responded, her voice sounding more upbeat. "I'll see you soon."

---

I knocked on Rally's apartment door at a little after seven and was greeted with a smile. She stepped back to let me in for a minute and I took in her black dress, which was accented by red shoes that made her legs look appetizing. Her hair was half way up, the other half flowing over her back.

"You look amazing." I said, my tone warm. She blushed a little and leaned up to kiss my cheek like she'd done the night of the fundraiser.

"Thank you," she said. She put a thumb over her shoulder toward the rest of the apartment. "I can give you your dessert now, or we can wait until later." She said and I couldn't help it, I pulled her to me by the waist and looked at her before I leaned down to her lips.

"I can wait." I said, my words completely belied by my mouth capturing hers.

I felt Rally's hands slide up and around my neck as I kissed her. She stepped closer to me and every part of her body was right where it needed to be as I tasted sweetness on her breath. The woman was a fucking master at kissing, leaving me feeling almost breathless by the heady swirl of emotions that her lips evoked. When I pulled back, her galaxy blue eyes stared into mine as she smiled.

"I'm glad you don't want to be just pals." She said, her voice light. I chuckled and nodded as I placed a smaller, almost chaste kiss on her lips. I could become addicted to her taste easily.

"Did you eat some of the frosting from my dessert?" I asked as I leaned back in mock outrage and Rally blushed.

"I might have taste-tested one, just to make sure they met the right standards for gift-giving." She said. God, this woman had me smiling like an idiot and I couldn't help but love every minute of it.

"Well, it sure meets mine." I said huskily as I kissed her again. I had her against the wall of her apartment before I knew it, I was so consumed by her. When I lifted my head, her mouth was sparkling with the wetness from our kiss and her cheeks were rosy. I was down with seeing that for a good long while, too. If I didn't get her out the door, however, there wouldn't be much to this date.

"Come on," I said as I grabbed her hand. "I need to get you out of here before I completely forget what I intended to do."

When we got to the main floor, Rally looked at me with a question in her eyes. "What's the plan?" She asked. I gestured to my car and walked with her to it.

"I'm taking you to check out The Belt and then to go fowling." I said, smirking a little when she looked at me like I was crazy.

"Just trust me, baby girl." I said to her as I closed the door behind her and moved over to the driver's side. "You're going to love it." I continued as I got in and buckled up. Rally nodded as she did the same and looked out the window.

"Well, then lead on."