Chapter 32

Let us rewind once more. We can use the ordinary magic of narration to do so, and we do not need to go back so far. We only want to see the circumstances that have led to Rusty's witnessing of the Custodian's 'fleeing' dilemma.

In this prior time, we see the tail end of the Gol'ur-Klem horde stride their way across the plains, churning the once-beautiful fields into sticky gray mud. We observe the brutes and their leaders – the larger, sickle- and whip-wielding Klem-Core, striking out at their charges with cruel bites of their long straps – marching into a massive dust storm, one that is being generated by an as-yet unknown power.

Perhaps this storm is the work of the creature that destroyed the ice wall of the Custodian? Maybe. More importantly, it is to this creature that the Custodian will travel, although he does not know it yet. His appointment was to be with the leader of the Gol'ur-Klem horde only, a half-giant known as the 'Klem-Marshall'.

And now we see the Custodian cowering behind a large boulder situated close to the bottom of the right-of-Line hills. He is well-concealed, watching dry and blackened motes of ash and silt swirl into the air, gathering into a shroud that blankets the town of Hep Duatab. The sight makes him a little afraid. There is great magic being performed here – drawing on the power of the Emissary, he surmises – and it is a new thing, for the Gol'ur-Klem did not use magic in their prior attempts at seizing the Robe of God. As for the green-robed creature that destroyed his ice wall... the Custodian has also given this being some regard, but was not too worried. Whatever the creature was, it was likely nothing more than just another servant of the Emissary. Besides, the Custodian had made sure the walls he had summoned were not that strong, so really, the destruction was not that impressive.

The magic used to bring forth this tremendous dust storm, on the other hand... there was some power to it, worrying the Custodian. This concern was followed by a question that also perturbed him more than a little (it is an idea that has crossed Shah's mind, too): why was such an army commissioned, and such tremendous magic called upon, when his betrayal was already in hand? Surely all that was needed was a surreptitious rendezvous? He could have snuck out of the Hep and given the Robe of God freely to whomsoever the Emissary had sent to collect it. This was something he would have done without hesitation. The reward he had been offered for turning over the Robe! By the Highest!

But no. He was told (ordered, as a matter of fact!) to carry out the delivery of the Robe of God during this invasion. The Emissary's instructions were very clear: he was to wait until the Garoc arrived, then allow the horde to attack, and then choose an opportune time to flee. When his ice wall was destroyed by the green-robed creature (whom he neither knew of in advance nor expected to appear) and the brutes surged against the stone barrier, the Custodian knew his time had come.

It wasn't as smooth an exit as he had hoped, however... the little witch had turned her mighty thunder-staff on him, and the Custodian thought he was finished! But she hadn't killed him.

Thus, he was here.

Thus, he would continue until the very end.

As he watched the throngs of half-giants march into the storm, he trembled with anticipation, positively enthralled at the prospect of what awaited him! How sure he was – how determined and enticed! – that he'd made the right decision to hand over the Robe of God to the servants of the Emissary! The vast riches, the treasures, delights the likes of which no mortal mind could comprehend... Breath-taking! Beyond measure!

Still, the Custodian waited. The Gol'ur-Klem army was thinning now. He could see the Garoc to his left, its magnificent sides heaving in the distance. The dust storm on his right, now completely blanketing the Hep, cast a dim shadow over the land. Siege machines continued to launch their fire-arrows high into the air, which in turn vanished into the black cloud. Earlier, the Custodian was sure he had heard the little witch use her tremendous thunder-staff, and was actually glad rather than concerned: She is still inside the Hep! She is not pursuing me! Perhaps he could resume his journey to the Klem-Marshall soon.