Chapter 7

The girl stood in front of the Custodian, Dresden, and Mohon, hands on hips.

The Custodian cleared his throat. "I sensed you cast powerful magic inside this house, young outsider," he said, "and none of my defenses so much as stirred. By the Highest, what are you? And why can't the boy do the same as you?"

"Your defences can't harm I," Sonic said. "And the boy is not the same as my... I."

The Custodian studied her closely, his lips pursed. "You may take the boy at once," he said, "and return to whence you came."

Dresden looked at the Custodian, concerned. "Custodian Aris, she is no threat to us."

"Sire Faramay, we cannot be sure of anything," the Custodian said sternly. He had not taken his eyes off the strange girl standing in front of them.

Sonic met his gaze. "I not take the boy at once," she said. "I am no threat to you, Custodian Aris."

"Then tell us what more you want. You have brought the boy back to consciousness and healed him, so you may leave now, yes?"

She folded her arms. "I not leave with the boy."

"Why not?"

"Aris," Dresden interjected, moving to stand next to the girl. He faced the Custodian. "She is a guest here. Both she and the boy are now guests of the Hepstraad."

"Dresden – " the Custodian began ominously.

"I invoke the hospitality of my mother and my father, Custodian," he said. "Would it be so much to ask that you offer the same?"

The Custodian looked at Dresden, then at the girl. He grimaced, then exhaled loudly, puffing his mustache out. "Very well, Sire Faramay," he said, "but if this girl or her friend turns out to be hostile – "

"They are not hostile, Custodian," Dresden said firmly, and looked at the girl. "She has already said she comes in peace."

The Custodian eyeballed Dresden for a moment. "You do know where your mother is right now, Sire Faramay," he said matter-of-factly.

"I do," Dresden said, "and are you implying my mother's sojourn is somehow connected to the arrival of these strangers?"

"It is my job to be cautious, Dresden," the Custodian said, thinking: The girl has made an impression on the prince. Not good. "But you may do as you please. Perhaps teach the girl here our language, then. Allow her to explain herself."

"I shall."

"But I must ask you take her outside first," the Custodian said. "The defensive spells I have here are idle, but they may come to life soon."

"The defenses in this house cannot harm I," Sonic said.

The Custodian smiled broadly at her, but there was no warmth in his eyes. "In the spirit of hospitality," he said, "I do not wish to put your assertion to the test." He turned to Dresden. "You will be an excellent teacher to her, Sire Faramay. But as you have invoked your father's name, surely it would be a good idea to bring him into this? Mayhaps with as many of the Hepsguard as can be mustered?"

"I will not bring my father or the Hepsguard yet, Custodian Aris," Dresden said. "I would like her to learn more of our language and make her case. Surely this would be acceptable?"