Chapter 15

They had crossed the Common, and were at the foot of wide stairs leading to the main doors of the castle. The General and the Hepsguard, including those at the rear, dismounted, then tied their drays to low poles that floated unsupported on one side of the steps. The Custodian was with them, arms still folded defensively. He did not like where the situation was headed, now that the girl could speak so well.

A sizable Hepsguard contingent, maybe twenty or more, all dressed head-to-toe in silver armor, came out of the large doors at the top of the stairs, forming ranks to either side. As they parted, a man came out, wearing quite ordinary clothing of brown slacks and a wide-necked shirt that was laced up the front. The expression on his youthful face was one of worry and concern. At his presence, the General and the Hepsguard kneeled, and so did the Custodian and Dresden. Sonic remained upright, and she nabbed Rusty as he began to kneel too.

"Not now, stay upright," she whispered to him. They would observe the customs when the time came, but she first needed to see who this person was. Was this the Lord Faramay, Dresden's father? Or was this a ranking underling, sent to make an assessment? And would he demand their acquiescence – to kneel like the others – or would he accept their behavior as a matter of culture?

"No need, no need, friends," the man said to those kneeling as he came down the stairs. Sonic breathed a small sigh of relief, thinking: We're good.

Everyone who was kneeling got to their feet. The man looked at Dresden first. "Son, I am pleased to see you."

"Father," Dresden said.

"General, Custodian," the man continued. He looked at Sonic and Rusty, and smiled. "And you are the outsiders, I see."

"Yes, we are, Lord Faramay," Sonic said. She didn't need to read anyone's mind to figure out who this man was.

"You speak our tongue well," he said, and looked at the silent Rusty. "And your friend here?"

"He does not know your language, Lord Faramay," Sonic replied. "I am teaching him, but we have not been here long."

"Well, then, welcome, welcome," he said, glancing between Sonic, Rusty, and Dresden. "Please, won't you come in? Rarely do we have guests of a caliber as yours, young lady. And I may call you...?"

"My name is Ari, Lord Faramay," Sonic said, once again using the short form of her full name. "Please call me Sonic."

"Sonic it is," Lord Faramay said, smiling broadly. It was a genuine smile, and for that, Sonic was glad. Then the Lord gestured for them to follow him up the stairs to the castle entrance. Sonic obliged, careful to keep one hand on Rusty. Dresden, Mohon, the Custodian, and the General follow behind, while their escort remained below.

"I hear you are a mage," Lord Faramay continued.

Sonic shook her head. "I am a soldier," she said. "A guard, if you like."

"A soldier?" the Lord asked. Surprisingly, he did not proceed with the obvious next question: and for whose army do you 'soldier'?

"More like a guard, I should say," Sonic said. "And my thanks for your hospitality. I was given to believe our welcome would be strained."

The group arrived at the castle entranceway landing, standing at the massive doorway that led in. Sonic paused to take in the spectacle. The entrance hall beyond was huge, cavernous. Beams of diffuse light radiated from orbs set in its high, cathedral-like ceiling, illuminating a wide thoroughfare in front of them, along with rows upon rows of polished-stone banquet tables on either side, all of which were neatly skirted by ornate wooden benches. There was another massive double-arched doorway at the end of the thoroughfare, and as they were ushered in, Sonic's keen senses were alerted to the fact that the entire place was empty. Completely empty.