ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ || ᴀ ɢʟɪɴᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴʟɪɢʜᴛ

Gerathon

Moonlight dappled the forest floor. The woods were silent in my presence. As they should be. I deserve to be revered and feared.

Leaves crunched somewhere nearby and a man cloaked in black stepped into view. He pushed the hood from his head as he knelt. His eyes caught a flash of moonlight, gleaming gold. "Gerathon." He greeted.

I made a sound of displeasure, low in my throat. Although he knelt, this human addressed me like a friend. We were not friends. He was useful to me. But as soon as his usefulness ran out, so would his life. My tongue flicked into the evening air. No scent of danger. Only me. "Ssstand up." I ordered.

The man straightened. "You are displeased."

I did not make a move to confirm or deny.

The man laughed. "You do not have to worry, dear Gerathon. It will all go to plan."

"I am not worried." I hissed. "Do not addressss me assss ssssuch."

He bowed, but even that felt condescending. I had to resist the urge to swallow him whole. I still needed him, as annoying as it was.

"What is troubling you, then, Great Serpent?" The man asked.

I uncoiled and rose higher above him.

He tilted his head up to look me in the eye. The moon glinted off his eyes.

The nerve he had.

"You are not the only one who knows what others are thinking." He said. "You worry that although you may be able to speak in the girl's mind, you cannot influence her decisions. But do not worry. I will make sure it all goes well." His tone is soft and silky, fake and manipulative.

"Ssssilence, you fool." Anger boiled in my voice. Venomous, dangerous. Just how I liked it. "You do not undersssstand what forcessss are at work here."

"I believe I do." The man replied, his voice taking on a hard edge.

"Ah, you do? Well, do exssssplain." My scales rustled on the leaves, undulating under the moonlight.

The man stepped back. But other than that, he did not show whether he was intimidated. I was begrudgingly impressed.

"Gerathon, there could be anyone listening. I am not about to explain the fine details of our plan here." The man said, his voice low now. "You think me a fool? You would kill me before I could say a word."

I laughed.

A few birds took flight from nearby trees.

The man looked over his shoulder.

"You are a sssmart man, Jackal." I chuckled.

The other man, so-called Jackal, stiffened. "That is the Greencloak name for me. How do you know that?"

Now, that was interesting. Perhaps the first time I had seen him unnerved. "I have my waysss." I responded, knowing that the non-answer would only further distress him.

"I see." He stepped back again, wary now.

Good. That is the attitude I deserved.

"Now, go, before I change my mind and eat you alive." I flicked my tongue out again. I really was hungry.

He raised one eyebrow. "I thought you needed me."

I chuckled, low in my throat. "You amusssse me, Jackal."

He bowed. "It is my pleasure." He turned to leave.

"Jackal."

Jackal turned back.

"You are not to ssspeak of thissss converssation to anyone elsssse." I paused, "essspecially not that boy. Shane."

"Of course." He nodded

His thoughts betrayed him, though, and rage reared its head. I drew myself up, blocking the moonlight and throwing the clearing into darkness. "You forget I can sssee insssside your head, you fool! I would kill you on the sssspot, were you not sssso valuable."

Jackal cowered, his fear suddenly tainting the air.

But I was gone before his blade could even be drawn, only a glint in the moonlight.

edit: 11/12/23
birthday gift for lizzie
i am so tired it's unreal
wish me luck on my finals
enjoy xx

That's the end of book two! I hope you liked it! Here's the cover for book three, which is called Tightening Bonds.

🎉 You've finished reading Lᴏɴᴇʟʏ Fᴀʟʟs || Tʜᴇ Cʜᴏsᴇɴ Eɪɢʜᴛ Bᴏᴏᴋ Tᴡᴏ 🎉