ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ || ᴛʜᴇ sɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴡᴏʟꜰ

Lucia

We reached Granite Hills after about five days of walking. We could've made it sooner, but Lizzie slowed us down, what with her injuries.

Glancing back, I saw that the girl in question was engaged in conversation with Ryan yet again. She was almost always talking to our guardian... not looking where I was going, I walked straight into Zay. I stumbled and ended up in the dirt. She turned, frowning.

"Sorry." I muttered, getting up and brushing the dust off my hands. I avoided her gaze, embarrassed and bracing myself for a snarky comment about watching where I was walking.

But Zay just gave me a strange look and turning back around.

We haven't argued for a while... the revelation was disconcerting. I continued walking, mulling it over in my head. Obviously, I didn't enjoy arguing with Zay, but it was something that had become a normalcy. Comforting, in some crazy way.

Niko reached up and tugged me into a crouch beside him.

I muttered an apology, which he brushed off as he peered over the next hill.

I returned to my thoughts, tracking back to the last altercation that Zay and I'd had. It was before Lizzie had joined us. Since then, everyone had been more cautious. It made sense, I supposed, we weren't quite sure if she was still loyal to the Conquerors.

"Lucia!" Yet again, it was Niko who pulled me from my thoughts.

I looked up, realizing that the others had moved on. Niko stood on the next rise, looking amused in an exasperated sort of way.

Straightening, I jogged over to him. "Sorry." I apologized yet again, feeling heat rush to my cheeks in embarrassment.

He chuckled. "Got lost in thought?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Hey, you two!" Tyler called, drawing both of our attention, "we found it!"

Niko and I hurried to rejoin to the group. Together, we peered over the hilltop.

As per the previous mission to retrieve the Copper Falcon, there were four animals milling around the clearing. Only this time, it was a grizzly bear, a coyote, a fox and a stag. A glint of silver showed around the coyote's neck.

"What's the plan?" Sasha was whispering to Tyler.

"We split up, I want Lucia and Zay to go for the talisman," Tyler replied quietly, "Navia and Sabien go for the bear, you and Niko go for the fox, and Lizzie and Tazi go for the stag."

"What about you and Ryan?" Niko breathed. His gaze was fixed on the talisman, I could see it's reflection in his dark eyes.

"We'll help whoever needs it." Tyler answered, reaching up to tie back his hair.

"Now, if that's all the questions," Ryan added after a moment where everyone scrambled to grab their weapons and ready themselves for battle, "then let's get going."

As we stood, I searched for Zay, finding her easily because of the grey cloak she wore. She hadn't taken the vows to become a Greencloak, for which I honestly couldn't blame her. Somehow, though, I felt no doubt of her loyalty. I shook my head to clear it and walked over to her, smiling ruefully. "Guess you're stuck with me."

She rolled her eyes and smirked, "how about you go for the talisman and I get the coyote?"

I nodded, becoming serious. "Deal."

"Charge!" Tyler's cry broke into our agreement and we turned, taking off down the hill after them.

Although I had my long sword in hand, I found myself sheathing it as I decided to leave the fighting to Zay.