Heart of a Woman

Chapter 3: Heart of a Woman

Every woman's heart has different instructions. They are written through her eyes, in her smile, through her actions and in her tears. She just has to find someone who cares enough to read them. ~Unknown.

You know... I believed in that quote. A woman’s heart isn’t really easy to open. Actually it’s quite difficult to. It has numerous and numerous numbers of secrets combinations that only God knows what they are. They should be deciphered in order to take a quick glance of it, and then it might just lock again!

Angela had this weird habit of her looking at me wherever I went in recess, even when I’m gathered around with Sports-friends:

“Man can’t you see Angela and her weird looks? I’d say she has a crush on you.. But YOU! Raghid! I just can’t imagine that. You haven’t dated since 3 years! Why would she choose you on John…”

“Dude, She and John are just typical friends. He has been friends with her since ever, trust me on this one. And besides, why wouldn’t she choose me? I’m an average 8/10 looks of a guy, smartass, so romantic, and funny! Why wouldn’t she?”

“You and your ego... Just go away bro!”

I thought about his words not once, BUT many times in the nights.

I spent time talking with her more than any person I have ever talked with, but on the screens. I never liked Technology and its super addicting tools, but you’ll have to go on if you want to survive this cruel century. I kidded with her all the time and she laughed at every joke I said even if it were lame. Did she really love me? It made me more curious to know.

I’m a person that holds on to his principles! I wouldn’t let the friend zone shot backfire at me and make me lose my entire ego! I knew that I should be 200% of her love toward me then see what will happen.

It was almost afternoon break, and classes were almost over. A surprise was awaiting me though as far as I can tell.

“Please. Students that will hear their names should meet me in the stage this break: Raghid, Angela, Kade, and Zasha” Spilling out this surprising message, Mrs. Grace went on walking in the hallway.

So that sums it up; she asked the class’s nerds to meet her up during break. Not knowing what will happen, we quickly ran toward the stage room where the meeting will happen.

“Students! Calm down please” Mrs. Grace commanded. “Now please, show me some silence and listen carefully to what I’ll say” Our eyes popped out; Angela, Kade, Zasha, and me along with 18 other students that were picked from the freshmen and sophomore classes.

“You were picked for an interview to apply for the MUN!” Now everyone has gone curious.

MUN? What’s that? And why is it so important!

Mrs. Grace saw the question marks on our foreheads has given and quickly started explaining:

“So basically, MUN stands for the Model United Nation. It’s a simulation for the real United Nations actually but across the country, the one that you have been studying with Mrs. Dela across the last 3 years. You are given a random country from the 200 countries participating in the United Nations, a random committee from 28 committees, and one topic from two to discuss in the FINAL CONFERENCE. I’d like to add that the MUN usually contains 90-110 schools participating.”

“Wow so we’ll be a smaller version of the United Nations that does nothing in reality” I answered with disappointment.

“Now hold on Raghid. It’s not quite boring as you think. To participate in the final conference, you’ll have to attend six training sessions every Friday that are located in LU University. Moreover, you need a big heap of self-confidence, charisma, and a good fluent English accent which will be discovered later on in the interview. Winners in the final conference will get a bunch of awards, and each award has a specific scholarship percentage according to its importance.”

As soon as I heard that, I got excited. Will I have a chance to prove myself that I can read speeches out loud in front of I don’t know how many delegates! It was my school year challenge, and I didn’t want to lose.

“Now students, each one of you will prepare a speech regarding the immigrants in South Africa. We will have to choose 12 of you, so 10 will leave us. But the good news is, there is also another MUN that will be held across the town, and all of you can participate. It’s called HMUN; a smaller version but an important incident to be experienced.

We were 9 students from the freshmen classes, my classmates along with Jane, Natalie, Rose, and two others that lost interest and left when hearing that.

Interview was 2 weeks ahead of us, and we had to prepare well to get accepted. Only 5 of us will be taken and the rest will continue their normal, average, boring school year.

Time went very slowly. Excitement can really slow down your time actually. I had spent hours and hours researching, typing, editing, and citing. It went very good, my speech was ready:

Honorable chairs, fellow delegates. This delegate represents South Africa. Today, we are here to discuss the abuse of South African immigrants in the Arab region.

Since the dawn of history, migration has always been a global crisis. It’s a sign that shows that the mother country can’t handle such number of people due to lack of business; and with migration comes along abuse of immigrants. No doubt that any immigrant will have to face such racism, low wages, physical abuse and sometimes rape. Considering South Africa, it is one of the third world countries that has always been ignored by most of the nations. With no enough jobs that can soak up with the economy, huge numbers of Africans migrate to Arab countries to scrape a living. Indeed, innocent Africans are now being abused in many Arab countries in numerous ways, with no enforced laws to protect them. This is leading South Africa’s government to struggle in meeting demands for economic and social rights. Moreover, if this issue keeps arising, many citizens will consider unemployment and stick to what they have in harvesting their own food. Accordingly, the delegation of South Africa urges all of the countries present in this room to put hands together in order to irradiate this phenomenon before it’s too late.

                                                                       Thank you for your attention.

The hard part was yet to come though, if you know what I mean.

Two weeks later, exactly in 28/10, fifth period, the time has come. Our advisor Mrs. Gail which was responsible for the MUN had been waiting us in the library for interviews. My words which I was about to utter were as a tight rubber band, ready to strike anytime, just at the thought of what I was about to face.  Nervousness had been dropping down all the way to the library and my heart was almost as a jackhammer that seemed to rattle within a ribcage.

I was the first to go actually, voluntarily. I wanted to end this thing straight away. So I confronted the room full of confidence and faith, hoping that I’ll read it with 0 mistakes.

Taking a deep breath, Mrs. Gail said: “Start please “as I was under a great load of pressure.

So here it goes. I read all the speech within the limited 1:30minutes time fluently, in my American accent too! I couldn’t believe what was happening. Did this much pressure made me speak so clearly? With every sentence passing, I smiled as if the stuttering problem was gone. I bursted out of happiness as if my childhood curse has ended forever. It was my best day ever.

After she asked me some questions, I left the room and said:”I hope I did well” with a never-ending smile planted on my face. Everyone outside was in panic too, so I calmed them down and wished them luck, especially Angela. It seemed as if she wanted to get accepted so badly.

Leave your comments please ! :)

Next update at 200 reads!