You've never seen a bastard orphan more in need of a break

Within moments of her writing it, Angelica's letter is sent off via one of the Livingstone's many servants. The Livingstone family told my sisters and me that they expected Hamilton will receive the letter in the morning, and him and his friends will arrive the following afternoon. This left the five of us women the whole morning tomorrow to enjoy each other's company.

Enjoy. Ha.

Now, Kitty shows us to our rooms for the nights we're staying-- I wasn't aware we were staying for several nights. In the end, we all get our own room, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest since the Livingstone's house is practically a mansion in eighteenth century standards.

After Kitty gives Angelica and Peggy a cheery goodbye at their bedroom doors, she leads me to my room at the far end of the hall. Here, she gives me a distant, but civil 'good night' before heading to her own room. I don't miss the stark difference in her attitude between me and my sisters. 

I exhale a heavy sigh as I close my bedroom door behind me before sliding to the floor with my back against the door. How lonely I feel in this house. 

Angelica and Peggy are the only familiar, friendly faces here, but they've both been preoccupied with entertaining Kitty and that young woman, and the two hosts have both been paying my sisters extra attention the whole evening. To put it simply, I've been third wheeled-- or I guess technically five-wheeled-- and I can only assume that this is only a prelude to what is to come in the next few days during our stay here.

At least Hamilton is coming, so he can keep me company, even if he is still sick.

A rush of guilt courses through me at how I was practically forcing him to come here, even if it wasn't necessarily me who had written the letter inviting him. I was the one who had mentioned he was at The Pastures to the Livingstone family. I should've thought they would want to invite him to their home if they knew he was available. 

Awash in relentless guilt, I drag myself over to my bed and fall into a fitful sleep.

The next morning, the house is a flurry of motion. Servants dash to and fro, and I almost run smack into several of them when rounding the blind corners of the hallways or when walking into a room. 

At around ten o'clock, Angelica finds me sitting outside on the side porch of the house, gazing out at the surrounding forest, and she says in greeting, "Well, there you are, Eliza. I've been looking all over for you. Have you been here all morning?"

I nod and watch as Angelica walks around my chair to stand in front of me. Her shadow falls across my chair, shielding me from the bright sun. Placing her hands on her hips, she tells me, "The four of us are going to go walk around the gardens. Come with us." 

I can only assume 'the four of us' includes Angelica, Peggy, Kitty, and the other woman, who have yet to learn her name. 

When I'm silent, Angelica adds in a pleading voice, "Please."

With a sigh, I give a reluctant nod, and Angelica lets out a squeal of happiness. "Oh good!" she exclaims as she grabs my hands and helps me up from my chair. 

As we walk arm in arm towards the back of the house where we are to meet Kitty, Peggy, and the other woman, I ask, "Who is that woman that was with Kitty when we arrived?"

Angelica chuckles a little as she replies, "Oh, that's Kitty's older sister, Susanna, but you can call her Suky. That's what her friends call her, at least."

I blink. "Oh."

Angelica laughs again before quickening our pace. When we reach the back of the house, the three women are already waiting outside. A beam slides onto Kitty's face when she spots our approach, and she chirps, "Perfect! We're all here now."