The British are coming!

As I look at myself in the mirror in my room, I'm stunned at the simple elegance of my sapphire blue gown. It has a slightly off-the-shoulder neckline, and the bodice is made out of a lacy material overlaying a layer of solid blue fabric. Blue lace borders the gown's long sleeves. The bodice flares out at my waist in swaths of gauzy fabric.

I stand before my floor length mirror, twisting my dark, rich brown hair up into an intricate bun before placing small, blue jewels within the strands of hair intertwined into the bun.

Right as I finish putting the last jewel in, Peggy bursts into my room holding a pair of silver earrings. "You must put these on," she insists, before adding, "You look stunning by the way."

"Thank you," I respond with a smile as I grab the earrings from her and put them on.

I turn to study her own dress after I'm done. She's wearing a peach-colored gown with a square neckline that showcases her collarbone. Her brown hair is in a half up, half down do with small pearls pinned into her hair. "You do, too," I tell her with a warm smile, and she returns my smile.

She links her arm through mine as she tugs me down the stairs. "We're going to meet all the aides-de-camp at the ball," she tells me. "So we have the house to ourselves for now."

Angelica and Peggy had told me that it was a military ball, so all the important military officers and generals were going to be there. As to why we are going, I'm not quite sure. I suppose for it to be a ball there needs to be ladies present.

I give her a conspiratorial wink as I ask, "What shall we do in the meantime?"

She gives me a devilish smile before bursting into song. Peggy doesn't hold back as she sings louder and louder, dancing and sashaying amongst the chairs and tables in the house. At my warning look, she stops to say, "The house is empty except for us, nobody will judge." She wrinkles her nose at me. "Except for you it seems," she adds with distaste.

I gawk playfully at her comment before singing along with her. I grab her hands, and we both start dancing together through the house. Peggy gives me a twirl, and my dress swirls out like an ocean wave.

We laugh as we prance around the room until Angelica comes down the stairs and demands, "What are you two doing?"

I can't help but laugh as I answer, "Why we're practicing our dancing before the ball!"

Peggy adds, "We have to look and act our best amongst the handsome gentlemen!"

Angelica rolls her eyes playfully as she steps down the last few steps of the stairs. "Eliza shouldn't have to practice acting and looking spectacular when she already has a man at her feet," She says loftily.

Annoyance flares within me at her comment. "Colonel Hamilton is no safe guarantee as you so obviously presume," I say in a jokingly grand voice to hide my annoyance. "You must constantly work to hold his interest." I grab Peggy's hands again and give her a twirl.

She laughs as she falls into my arms, dizzy. I give her a light push, and she stumbles back with an "Eliza! How dare you break my trust by pushing me while I'm dizzy!"

I laugh as I catch hold of her again, steadying her. "Don't worry, my lady, I will always be here to catch you," I joke, and I hear Angelica snort behind me.

"Oh, why look at the time!" Angelica calls loudly, obviously trying to gain Peggy and my attention. "It's seven o' clock. The ball starts in half an hour!"

At that we all head out the house and into a waiting carriage embellished with the house Schuyler colors. "I wish I could ride my horse," I complain as the carriage jostles forward, causing me to bang the top of my head on the ceiling of the carriage cage with a loud thump. I bottle up the curse that bubbles to my lips as I rub my aching head with a hand.