I am mortified

Mrs. Washington and a few other women took all of the room in the one available carriage, so I have to ride a horse with the soldiers. I don't mind it since I get to breath in the fresh air and listen to the rustle of the trees. If I were in the carriage, then I would feel an obligation to make superficial talk with the other women, which I don't necessarily feel like doing right now. 

 Besides, I like to think that the sight of a woman in the soldier's ranks raises their morale. 

Most of the time I ride by Hamilton's side. Although most of the officers and other high ranking officials ride at the front, Hamilton stays in the middle-ish front, surrounded by his men as if to demonstrate to them that he's just like them. It must help build comradery

I notice his hands are a little fidgety, and I can't tell if it's from nerves or excitement. 

"They say this might be the battle to win the war," Hamilton is telling me as we ride on an insignificant dirt road, the sounds of marching and the occasional bump of a wagon hitting a pothole filling the air. 

I don't bother telling him that this battle isn't the final battle. 

So, I simply nod and say, "I hope it is. I'm ready for this war to be over." 

Hamilton nods thoughtfully at this, and we fall into silence, allowing the sound of the horses' hooves to fill the silence instead of words. Finally, he says, "You and Kitty were fighting about a rumor when I ran into you yesterday. What was that about again?"

"Oh nothing," I reply quickly, not wanting to really talk about it. "She was just trying to start drama," I add with a quiet grumble.

Hamilton lets out a scoff at this. "Eliza, tell me. What was the rumor?"

I reluctantly relay the rumor to him, only for him to roar with laughter. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while." He pauses and seems to think over his words before he adds, "Well, let me rephrase that. That's the second most ridiculous thing I've heard lately. It's second to Colonel Burr's terribly thought out military plan that he presented to Washington yesterday." 

At my curious look, he adds hastily, "Don't get me started on it. If I start talking, I'll be going on about it for the next two hours."

This brings out a loud laugh from me. "How typical of you," I remark as I turn forward to gaze at the line of soldiers stretched out on the dirt road ahead of me. I can feel the weight of his gaze on my face. 

"Oh, you know me so well, Eliza, considering we've only known each other for three weeks," he says teasingly. 

I turn in my seat to look at him as I raise a brow. "Is that so? I have the feeling we've known each other for much longer than that." I watch his face carefully as his facial expression shifts from humorous to curiosity, and I can practically read his thoughts. 

He leans toward me, our knees brushing ever so slightly as our horses walk closely side by side, and he inquires with a smirk, "Tell me, Eliza, what's your guess on how long we've known each other?"

I narrow my eyes at him and purse my lips as I think about his question. "I would guess three months," I say confidently. "The story you told me yesterday took place in winter?"

He grins broadly as he replies, "Yes, that was at the end of winter. And you were close; we've known each other for five months."

"We are not counting my three weeks here already, so I'm guessing those five months are from before my supposed disappearance?" I affirm and he nods, a content smile on his face. 

"That's right," he replies casually, his eyes turned forward before they dip back down to me as if he can't help it. "If only you could remember those five months," he tells me with a wistful edge to his voice.