Aaron Burr, sir

I fan my face rapidly in the sudden sweltering heat that had come on unexpectedly in the afternoon. Peggy and I are sitting outside in the front yard after Peggy decided it would be a nice change to enjoy the outdoors.

Enjoy? Ha. Ha.

"I'm sure you're regretting this," I tell Peggy as I begin waving my hand at my face in addition to my fan.

Peggy leans forward from where she sits on the grass beside me and smacks my hand away as she replies curtly, "No, this was a wonderful idea. You just can't handle the heat."

I raise a skeptical brow at her before retorting, "I know it's only because of your stubbornness that you aren't using your fan yet."

Peggy shoots me a look. "Please. I just don't need it," she replies with a sophisticated air, smoothing her gown with her hands in a prim manner.

I only harrumph with a playful role of my eyes. As we both return to the embroidery in our laps-- I believe I'm getting the hang of embroidering now-- we settle into comfortable silence.

As I thread the needle into the fabric, my mind automatically turns to Angelica, and I place my embroidery back onto my lap as I turn to Peggy and ask, "Have you received any letters from Angelica yet?"

Peggy shakes her head soberly. "Not one." 

Angelica's been gone for a week and a half, and what with her being an hour away, it shouldn't take long for a letter to arrive. So, if not a single letter has arrived, it means that she hasn't bothered to write one.

"Maybe it's because she's really busy," I say as an excuse for her absence of letters, although the excuse tastes like ash in my mouth. 

Peggy nods before replying, "Maybe." But she says it in a hedging sort of way, implying she doesn't really believe my excuse for Angelica's negligence.

"Ladies," a voice greets from behind us, and we both flinch in surprise before twisting around to see whoever had spoken. The bright sun is shining in our faces, so I have to put a hand up and squint a little before Burr's figure comes into focus in front of me. He has a polite smile on his face, and his hands are clasped behind his back in military standing as he regards us with surprising warmth.

"Hello, sir," Peggy says because I haven't said anything yet. "How are you this fine afternoon?"

"Hot afternoon," I mutter under my breath.

Aaron Burr smiles again as he replies, "I'm well, thank you. It's a hot day. Are you sure you ladies are alright in this heat?"

I hold my fan up in front of me and flutter it as I reply with a grim smile, "That's what fans are for." 

He smiles again, but it's more forced. He clears his throat before he replies, "Your father wanted me to inform you ladies that we're going to a military meeting in town, and should you need anything, call for a servant to come get us."

Relief courses through me at his words because it means Burr will be gone for a little while. I nod before saying politely, "Thank you for telling us. I hope you travel safely." 

Burr only dips his head before walking back to the house where I can see two horses waiting. I turn to Peggy with a look, and she laughs.

"So harsh," she chides, turning back to the embroidery in her lap. I roll my eyes playfully as I give myself another wave of my fan, before grabbing my own embroidery.

***

With our father and Colonel Burr away for a meeting, it leaves Peggy, our mother, and me free rein to do whatever we want for the rest of the day without having to tend to our guest, Burr. Or, at least Peggy and me have free rein. Our mother is busy preparing the house for guests.