Chapter Eighteen

Everyone wants an easy life, one that wasn't filled with hardships, stress, work, and anything else that was thrown into the mix.

For me, I didn't just want an easy life. I wanted a memorable, happy life. One that I worked hard for. I didn't want everything to be crystal clear. I didn't want everything handed to me on a silver platter, either.

At the same time, I wanted to be free. Just for a day, I wanted to forget everyone and everything and do what I wanted. I didn't want to worry about getting shot, stabbed, or hell, even kidnapped. I wanted to push the club to the side. Just for a little while.

But let's face it, things rarely work out the way you want them to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The guys had picked on Ryder all day today about going to school with me, but that didn't get them anything other than a glare from him. I knew any of them would go with me if I asked them to, though. They just didn't want to look like a pussy.

I hadn't spoken to Ryder since this afternoon when he refused to see Jesse. I don't think he was mad at me but he just didn't want to see his brother.

I wasn't going to worry about sneaking out and seeing Jesse anymore. Those two were going to make up whether they liked it or not. I had a plan, now I just had to put it into place.

Out of the blue, gunshots rang out and my door busted open and slammed back just as quickly. There stood Jesse with a shotgun dangling from his hand. He just stared at me, like he'd seen a ghost.

I sat up slowly and moved over to my side.

''Are you okay?'' he asked.

 ''What are you talking about? Don't you know it's dangerous to be busting into other clubhouses!'' I shouted over the voices and banging on my door.

What the hell?

''Wait, you didn't hear?'' He asked. He was looking stunned.

''Hear what?'' I asked as I shook my head in confusion.

Jesse stood there and sighed, running a hand through his hair. ''You didn't hear. I can't believe you didn't hear,'' he repeated many times.

''Wait, hold on,'' I said. I grabbed one of the crutches and hobbled over to him. I quickly passed him and opened the door and had about a dozen guns pointed at my head. ''All of you shut up and go sit the hell down. He's not doing anything!''

''He's not welcome here,'' Ryder growled as he was trying to push through the door.

I felt Jesse behind me a moment later, and I knew Ryder was looking at him. ''It's about her dad, man. I'll be out of here as soon as I tell her,'' Jesse's voice was quiet and filled with something that I had never heard out of him. Pity maybe, and it scared the shit out of me.

Ryder took his hand off the door and growled again, ''You've got five minutes or I'm coming in there.''

I shut the door back and slowly turned back to Jesse. I placed my hand on his chest. ''What about my dad, Jesse? You're scaring me.''

''Didn't mean to,'' Jesse looked down at me. Pity was definitely there, and it caused my heartbeat to spike. ''He's dead, Sage. Your dad is dead.''

''What?'' I asked, gripped his shirt. ''No he's not. He's at home.''

Jesse ran his fingers through my hair. "He was murdered in front of the house.''

I jerked backwards away from him, and almost fell before his hand wrapped around my arm and caught me.