Chapter Nine

Make sure you play the music ;)

Bullets started flying through the air and before I could even comprehend what I was suppose to be doing. I was shoved on to one of the aisles of the store. I knew exactly who it was, I'd know those tattooed arms anywhere. ''Are you trying to get killed?''

''No, I'm trying to keep you from getting killed,'' he yelled over the gunfire. I was pushed up against the shelves and he was standing protectively in front of me.

''Our people are out there killing each other, don't you think we should be helping?'' I asked, trying to get free from his grasp. I had to help them.

''I'll go back out there,'' Jesse said.

''So am I!'' I protested.

''No, you're staying here. I don't want you killed,'' Jesse looked me in the eyes and I melted under his intense stare. ''You better stay here.''

''Fine, fine! You sure as hell better not kill my people, though!'' I raised my voice.

''Die mother fucker!'' I heard someone yell. Little dramatic there, aren't we?

Jesse slipped away from me and I crouched down. Pulling my gun around, I leaned over the side of the shelves and focused on one guy who had managed to shove Liam against the wall with a knife to his throat. I pulled the trigger and smirked as he fell to the ground.

Jesse told me not to go anywhere but he didn't tell me not to kill his people. Given, that was probably common sense, but my guys came before anything else. Also, I wasn't the best at listening to directions.

I watched as Liam pulled himself together and grabbed his gun before ducking down on another aisle, out of the line of fire. Thank god.

I slipped back behind the shelves, out of view, and slowly stood up to head back in the other direction to see if my help was needed anywhere else. I crept along quietly and reached the end of the aisle in no time.

Glancing around the corner, all I could see was a dead man. Black hair and bright blue eyes still wide open. I shivered, closing my eyes and knelt back down on the ground. I had seen a fair amount of dead people in my time but that didn't mean I was ever going to get use to it.

The gunfire ceased no less than five seconds later and I heard the doors slam. Shit, they were going to leave me!

In my attempt to scramble up from the floor, I slipped on some blood that managed to trail over towards me from the dead man's corpse. I hit the floor hard, cursing to myself. Why do these things always happen to me?

Two arms wrapped around me and I would've screamed if they wouldn't have been helping me up. ''Are you okay? Did you get shot, stabbed, anything?'' Jesse asked.

''I'm fine,'' I told him, looking down at the fresh blood that coated my shirt and hands.

I felt him slip something into my pocket but I didn't bother looking to see what it was. I had to get out of here before the guys thought I'd been killed and left me. Jesse pulled me to the side exit and I assumed that he didn't want his people seeing me. I mean if any of them were still alive. ''Get out of here and be safe.''

''I'll try,'' I looked back at him once more before he slammed the door. My kidnapper probably just saved my ass. Isn't it funny how things work out?

 I ran around the side of building like my ass was on fire and as I did, I realized the guys had left. I didn't blame them, though. I'm sure they thought I was dead but that didn't mean that it didn't piss me off.

Three bikes were left where we had parked them, including mine. That meant two people had been killed and if I had to guess, I'd say Cassie was one of them. I too would have been toast without Jesse.