The Patient

Chapter 2

The harsh light of the sun woke me. I groaned and rolled over trying to block it out, after the stranger had disappeared inside. My mind had refused to sleep and instead replayed my nightmares over and over. "Patient, please move your lazy ass and get up" a harsh voice screamed near my ear. I jumped in surprise then propelled backwards right of the bed. My face hit the floor with a loud whack, I swear for a moment i was seeing stars but as I sat up and rubbed the sore spot on my head. I saw nothing except Nurse Roberts moody face glaring down at me. "Patient?" I smirked faking confidence I didnt have "I thought we were on first names Julia?" I had the satisfaction of watching her veins burst out of her forehead and her face turn a unattractive red. She glared at me once more, mouth gaping before storming out the room her hair blowing behind her. I still hadn't figured out why she disliked me so much, it probably had something to do with the fact I was treated with gratitude by most of the staff. I had a certain gift in helping other patients, I seemed to help them relax, give them moments of sanity. I don't know why or how I did it so I cant explain it but it earned me the respect i needed to get freedom in most aspects. I could pretty much got to do whatever I want. It came with a price if course but I didn't mind, I liked helping people. It was a useful distraction.

I was so lost in my musings that I only noticed the breakfast bell after its third chime. I sighed contemplating skipping my meal and going straight to the gardens but my stomach growled in protest. I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten thinking about it. Over the past few weeks my head had been in the clouds, I rolled my eyes I was so over dramatic. I would grab some fruit and then go to my meditation. I quickly got dressed, grapping the first clothes I saw and running the brush through my hair. I glanced at the large cuts on my palms and frowned, they would be hard to hide. I sighed curling my hands in my sleeves. I would just have to be careful.

I smelt the warm pancakes as soon as I walked into the canteen. I smiled at the brief attempt to impress the new patient, trying to lure him into a false sense if security no doubt. Dont get me wrong, this place was paradise compared to some if the others and most of the staff were nice people; they just were a bit dim on the intelligence side. Sweet foods were a rarity and were only cooked when we had a new patient or it was someones birthday. The babble of noise that covered the room only increased as I entered. A throng of patients surrounded one of the tables near the windows and I could only assume who they were badgering. I felt my legs give way as I walked over and I blanched. I had to grab onto the wall to steady myself. I exhaled and lent against the pale colourless wall. I could see patients on other tables staring at me, wide eyed. I shook my head, i was still so weak from the incident and it annoyed the hell out of me.

As I neared the crowd hovering over the table, it parted for me and soon I was standing in front of the new boy and another patient, Jeremy. He was very sensitive and the simplest thing could set him off on a rampage. I really didn't know of I had the strength to deal with him today. Jeremy and the new guy were in a heated discussion, I was hoping they would agree with each other and Jeremy wouldn't get worked up into a state but i didn't think that was possible. " No no no!!! that's not right! No no no!" for every no Jeremy banged his fist on the table. I edged slowly closer, knowing that I had to be careful and placed my hand on his shoulder. "Jeremy" I cooed in his ear, he turned about to shout but stopped when he realised it was me "you need to calm down everything alright, every things okay" I rubbed his arm gently until all the tension leaked out of his shoulders. He sighed and nodded at me in thanks. I winked at him and made a shooing gesture with my hands at the crowd and although they grumbled and complained they eventually evaporated leaving me and the new guy alone. I rubbed my eyes, I could already feel a growing ache starting behind my eyes.

I turned to glare at the new patient but he was already satying steadily back at me. His amazing brown eyes searching mine, I think I almost choked on my own salvia. I blushed at the intesty of his stare and could almost imagine what he was seeing. Alabaster skin with fiery blue eyes glaring up at him, long dirty blond hair curled a the ends. I just grabbed one of my white cotton dresses which ended above my knees and one of sammy's patterned jumpers. While he was busy checking me out I gave him the once over. He was in black jeans and some band tshirt. My music was seriously old, i never got the chance to update my smuggled ipod. He had short dark brown hair, light skin and his eyes, I could drown in them. I glanced away puzzled. Millions of questions coming to my mind. Why was he here? He was beautiful and he must have money from the car I saw so why here? I was going to find out all about this gorgeous guy, at least it would give me something to do. I gave him a hesitant smile and sat down opposite him on the table.