Helping out

Chapter Five

We met all the time after that. Not for long though. Just in passing; opposite sex friendships weren't really encourage. But at every opportunity I would try and find him. He was the only person who would really listen to me, who I could have fun with. I tired to convince myself that my infatuation with him was purely because I was bored nevertheless everyday he seemed to overcome my defences and I didn't know how long I would survive. The flower stood on my windowsill, it had become one of my most precious possessions, my first present. 

I had planned to meet Dylan in the grounds early afternoon but one of the older nurses had requested my help in handle some of the patients and I couldn't say no without it being suspicious. She greeted me with a smile as I dragged my feet towards her "Norah! Thank you for coming, I wanted you to show the new interns some tricks you use to help the patients but we will keep this between us yes? I don't think the doctors would approve " She winked at me and nudged my arm. I frowned, distractedly hoping Dylan would wait for me.  "Yes of course" I mumbled. I trailed alongside her while she animatedly talked to the trainees. Her hands painting a picture I could see. "Why is she here? I swear she is a patient? God she is obviously freak" I glanced up, one of the younger prettier trainees was glaring at me, disgust clear on her face. Her friend giggled and sneered at me. I rolled my eyes. They acted like I should be offended but I had heard worse. 

We arrived at Henry's room. Henry was one of the older patients, he had been here longer than I had. Not that he realised it I think. He didn't realise a lot. The older nurse; Sarah, I think her name was knocked gently. The door swung open to Dr Swallows, his face paved with new lines and creases. His frown only deepened when he saw me there and I hoped feverishly that he would send me away but after a slight hesitation, he ushered us all through. "He is a wreck, he won't talk, he won't eat, he just talks to himself I've tried everything but I think we might need to sedate him before he hurts himself and..." I tuned out to what he was saying. Henry was curled up in a ball in the corner of the room. His fingers curled, he pale thin body shaking, his eyes frantic and although his lips moved I couldn't hear what he was saying. He had these flashbacks every so often. He was stuck in the past. "Ewwwww that's so gross" the girl from earlier shrieked, I narrowed my eyes at her, had she no empathy? No sympathy for him? The other trainees huddled together disturbed by what they saw.

I swallowed my anger and turned back to Henry. I knelt down next to him before anyone could stop me. "No don't leave, stop, oh lord and god help me, no, no, no" Henry muttered spit flying as his mouth struggled to keep up with his rapid thoughts. Pity welled up inside of me and fear. Would this be me? Am I going to be like this? Forever stuck memories I couldn't control? I choked back my fear and focused on helping him. I grasped his shivering hands between mine and imagine sending my warmth to him, seeking out all the cold. He stared through me eyes, unseeing. I exhaled, focusing on the idea of calm and comfort. A memory of my mother singing a lullaby when I was a child came to me. I imagined sending the memory to him like through a connection that I could feel pulsing under his skin as I held it. I continued to transmit warm feelings to him until Henry crushed me in a hug, his warm breath tickling my ear. "Thank you Norah" his hoarse voice croaked. He smiled shakily at me then turned to the others and chokely laughed "I think you made a impression" he whispered to me, shaking his head in amusement. His ancient eyes gleaming. I swivelled round.

The room gaped back at me as if I had performed a miracle and stood on my head, I frowned and stood up. "Uh...well done Norah uh" Sarah stuttered "Can I ask how you did that?" She asked, Dr White nodded enthusiastically "Yes do tell" he practically gushed. I fought back my scream of impatience. "Well" I started sarcastically "if you had actually talked and listened to Henry you would understand how his step dad abused him after his mum left and how this scarred him mentally which meant he had trouble accepting the fact he was alone. You would also know that Henry misses his mum and is nostalgia about when she was with him so" I drawled out "you would know that by being motherly and expressing love and actually being kind towards him would help" I sneered at them, my anger blurring my sight "but I guess you don't have the brain capacity to care about other human beings" I finished. Or I finished my rant in my head. No matter how much I wanted to say those words, I didn't want to cause more trouble, it wasn't worth it. People don't suddenly change. I shifted uncomfortably under their scrutiny and shrugged, murmuring "I don't know". I turned to Henry plastering a smile on my face "Are you okay now?" I asked gently, he nodded and gave me a brave smile. "Now if you excuse me" I said as civil as possible before striding out the room before they could stop me. I had to find Dylan.