Drowning

Chapter 3

He smiled hesitantly back at me. I could see his untouched pancakes in the no mans land between us, my stomach grumbled loudly and my mouth started watering. I stared at him through my lashes and gave him my perfected coy look. He grinned and shook his head "I'm assuming your hungry?" He had a slight accent but I couldn't figure out where from. He pushed the plate towards me and I could have kissed him there and then but I decided that pancakes were more important "oh man, thank you, thank you" I gushed, grabbing a fork and digging in, not caring if I looked like a pig. I adored sweet things, I would bribe the juniors into get me any chocolate or cakes that were available. It was amazing I wasn't over weight but we had to do two hours of exercise a day of our choosing since apparently a "healthy body meant a healthy mind". Not that it mattered there were no guys here that I would consider worth flirting or impressing. Sometimes I don't know why I bother to look nice but this guy was hot and so far he hadn't done anything too crazy which is always a plus. "A penny for your thoughts?" I glanced up, mouth flapping with pancakes. The guy was staring and my brain whirled for a possible lie "urm no I was just.." I gave up and shook my head "just pancakes you know?" He nodded in agreement as if he actually understood "I'm Norah, by the way nice to meet you!" I stuck out my hand, wriggling my fingers. He laughed again and shook it "I'm Dylan, a pleasure to meet you too" I smiled and finished my pancakes, I could feel his eyes boring into face the whole time and I tried my hardest not to blush. 

My body froze as I saw Dylan lean closer towards me and I suddenly was on high alert, I could feel his breath on my face and his hands were inches from mine. I shivered. He shook his head, leaning far away again as if breaking from a dream "I'm sorry" he muttered. I stared at him a feeling of nausea rose over me, all ideas of befriending him gone. I stood up, every fibre in my being was telling me to run, run, run. He is going to hurt you, like everyone else a voice whispered. I shook my head, I could see Dylan's lips moving but I couldn't hear what he was saying. It was I was underwater and suddenly I couldn't breathe, I was too confused and scared. I shivered again more violently and practically ran out of the hall, my wobbly legs only barely supporting me. I don't remember what happened next. Unfortunate side effect of my fits. I can only assume one of the Nurses found me and brought me to a Doctor. When I next woke I was lying in the infirmary, my hands bandaged and my head aching. I cursed silently, they had obviously noticed the cuts and I would have to explain how the medicine wasn't working. Right back to square one.

After seeing the Doctor I went outside in the garden for my meditation as i liked to call it. Before everything I never believed in god. I told myself that if he didn't help me why should I struggle for enlightenment? But the Doctors said that talking to someone, anyone would help. So I decide that since god is always silent at least he would be a good listener. It's not actual meditation, its practically impossible to empty your mind of every thing so most of the time I just had a inner dialogue. I still don't know why Dylan made me act like that, I hadn't had a fit that bad since I first got admitted. It's because you let your guard down my conscious answered. I sighed wearily. it was best I just avoided him until I got this all sorted out.

"Norah?" A tentative voice squeaked, I opened one eye to see Chris squatting down in front of me. I cracked my neck and unfolded my legs "yeaah?" I replied equally as cautionary, Chris smiled and scratched his head. Chris was one of the few people I had proper conversations with, so I guess he counted as my friend. "Well its my mums birthday and I don't know what to send her" I smiled gently at him, he had one of the kindest hearts. Basically his mum had remarried and decided that Chris wasn't normal enough for her 'new' family so she sent him here when he was only eleven. His OCD wasn't even that bad to begin with but the stress of moving of here and losing his family, had made him erratic. He seemed to be having a good day today though, his smile seemed genuine. He still sent his mum letters and sent presents to her family at Christmas. He didnt even seem to blame her. "I don't know darling, why don't you get her something meaningful that represents a happy memory?" I stroked his hair as I stood up and he hugged my waist "thank you" he murmured into my dress, he looked up at me "I'm totally taking credit for that" I laughed and smiled warily at him. He was such a sweetheart I hope his mum came to her senses soon. I didn't want him to be stuck in here like me.