The Romantic

Chapter 4

Avoiding Dylan was easier than I expected, we didn't have any group session together and the building is so big that there was minimum chance of bumping into him there. Part of me was relieved that I wouldn't have to explain my weird reaction the other day. But he should have expected that considering where we where. Weird almost became normal here. On the other hand I hated leaving things unresolved or unsaid so it was like a itch I couldn't scratch. I lost count of the days, indulging myself in helping other patients and spending hours drawing a  particular piece I just couldn't get right. I had been working on it for a while, it was a family. They were having a picnic by the lake surrounded by mountains, I had done everything else apart from their faces. Their facial expressions didn't work and it was annoying as hell. I was so busy, I didn't have time to think about what it meant. I sighed rubbing my eyes, even though I didn't have the usual nightmares, I still wasn't getting a full nights sleep. I would jerk awake sweating and crying but however hard I tired I couldn't remember what I had been dreaming about. Somehow that made it worse. Not knowing. At least with my other nightmares I knew why I was crazy. With these I had no idea. I opened the doors to welcome the late evening sun and paced through the grass; damp with the rain that seemed to plague this place.

I continued walking through the grounds and into the forest that surrounded us, looking for inspiration. Everything seemed to be doused in red as if the whole world was burning up in flames. I couldn't help but stand and stare, it was so peaceful. You could forgot the rest of the world existed. "Norah?" A voice called and I winced, just the person I had been running from "Dylan" I replied, avoiding his eyes. He stood next to me, staring at the sunset. I tried to stare at him discreetly. His eyes, unblinking seemed to be viewing a completely different scene. His face was tainted with the light and he seemed too be glowing. "Its beautiful isn't it" I murmured softly, turning back to the sunset. "Indeed" he muttered in return. I felt fine standing near him now, my body seemed to be humming with life and nothing felt dangerous or scary, in fact standing next to Dylan right now. I felt more peaceful than I had all week. I stifled a sigh, I couldn't let myself get involved with anyone. Not like anyone would want to be with me but I tend to be a big romantic, I never lost hope of falling in love. I exhaled then blushed, Dylan glanced at me from the corner of his eye and smiled gently "look about last week" I started but he waved his hand dismissively "its fine Norah, its ok" he rubbed his neck, looking embarrassed "I did try looking for afterwards to see if you are okay but I couldn't find you and then I saw you coming here and..." He trailed off and I stared at my hands, interlacing and intertwining, My heart flinching with the kind of hope, I had been dreading. My ivory skin contrasted with the dark green moss that covered the trees like a second skin. The sun glanced off the trees, blinding me slightly "I'm sorry Dylan" I breathed guiltily, peeking up at him through my lashes. "Norah I said its fine" he replied laughing "but if you ever want to talk about it then I'm here, even if that sounds cheesy" he grinned then bent down, picking one of the few flowers that managed to grow here. Most died, unable to get light from the giant trees that dwarfed everything.

He stared at it for a moment, it was beautiful. I had never seen it before, it was unique. Purple with spirals and dots of white and orange. "Here you go" he said quietly, his voice shaking slightly. I looked up, wide eyed "what?" He smiled and gestured the flower towards me. I stared, mouth open. No one had even given me a present before. I stroked the petals and grasped it gently, afraid he would change his mind. "Thank you" I replied softly, he blushed "thank you" I breathed again as quietly as I could. We turned to watch the sun set in silence. It wasn't awkward though, it was the kind of silence that you could dived into, that kind where a million things were being said at once but not heard. I bathed in it. Until the moon arose and we heard the chiming of bells for our curfew, float across the trees. I smiled at Dylan and he returned it. "I guess this is where we part ways" I said rubbing my arms. The night had brought a chill that seeped into my bones. He shook his head "I'm going to stay here for a couple of minutes, I will see you tomorrow?" He asked hopefully. My head had a mind of its own and was already nodding enthusiastically. I couldn't wait to see him again.