Chapter 5

The following morning Klaus woke up early. He was about to go to work, but then he remember his conversation with Caroline the previous night.

A day off wouldn't hurt.

He tiptoed out of his room and to the kitchen, careful not to wake anyone up. He felt bad so he decided to make her an apology breakfast.

"Daddy?" Hope's creaky voice came from behind him. "You're still here?"

Klaus felt an ache sin his heart. He knew that Hope felt as though she was a burden to him and he wasn't doing anything to ease her worries. What kind of father did that make him?

"Come here my little wolf," he beckoned. "Daddy hasn't been a good father for a while now but I promise that's all going to change. I love you very much you know that right?"

"Mmmh." Hope nodded. "I love you too. I just miss you."

"I miss you too my love. That's why I'm not going to the office today, we are going to have a fun day today. You, Me, and Caroline." If she was calm now. "We can go to the park and you and I can do some painting?"

Hope gasped. "We haven't done that in ages."

Klaus smiled. "Now how about you help me make breakfast for Caroline? She's a little angry at me."

"Okay!" Hope  cheered.

They set to work making a delicious breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast and some Mango juice. All the while Caroline was sleeping.

Klaus helped Hope get ready for the day and when they got downstairs, Caroline was waiting.

"Caroline guess what? Daddy's not going to work today." Hope announced. "Isn't that great?"

"That's great." Caroline said, faking happiness.

"I made breakfast. If you are hungry." Klaus said as gently as he could.

Caroline nodded silently, not looking at him. They went and sat by the table, eating in awkward silence.

They both wanted to speak, but they had no idea where to even begin. Luckily an oblivious girl sat with them.

"Caroline daddy says we are going to the park today. It's been ages since we've been there." Hope said happily. "It's very beautiful out there. There are so many rose bushes and the grass is so green."

Caroline smiled at Hope. She couldn't wait to have a child. She couldn't wait to give her love to something so tiney. She couldn't wait for someone to depend on her.

"Well since we are done here, I suppose we should get going." Klaus announced.

"I'll just grab a jacket." Caroline said before dashing to her room.

Ten minutes later the trio hoped into Klaus' car and drove to the park.

The minute they got there, Hope ran to the swings, living Klaus and Caroline alone. They went and sat on near by bench. Close enough to watch Hope and far enough that they could speak without being heard.

"Caroline I would like to apoogize for yesterday." Klaus began. "You were right, I should have called and let you know what was going on. It wasn't fair to you or Hope. I've just never had to explain myself to anyone. No one has cared enough."

"You don't need to explain yourself Klaus. You were right, I over reacted. You are not the husband I am to boss around." Caroline said. "I would just appreciate it if you let me know when something is wrong. Hope was worried sick last night and I had no way of consoling her."

"It won't happen again." Klaus assured laying a comforting hand on her leg. "Do you miss him?"

"Excuse me?"

"Do you miss your husband?" Klaus asked.

"Not in the slightest." Caroline said. "Tyler is not the man I thought I knew, I know that now. He used to hurt me you know? But I stayed. I tried telling my friends, but none of them believed me, they all said I was over reacting."

Klaus frowned. He could not imagine how she'd been through so much and yet she was still fighting. He wondered what kind of man would hurt someone as pure as her.

"So then why did you marry  him?"

Caroline laughed humorlessly. "When I was in high school, I was a neurotic control freak. No one wanted me and then I started dating Tyler. Our relationship wasn't a healthy one, but I was completely oblivious. I was going to divorce him, but then I my parents died and I didn't want to be alone. Pathetic right?"

"No, it shows you are human. My parents and I actually don't get along, I only have to keep in touch with them because of the company." Klaus said. "Friends?"

"Friends." Caroline smiled. "So at the risk of being pushy can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"You don't look like you enjoy being a corporate business man?"

Klaus laughed. "I don't. It's my father's company and I guess I've always pushed to be a pleaser. I guess I thought by joining the family business I would be pleasing him but I was wrong. If I could choose I would have actually started an art gallery. I love painting."

"So why don't you? I mean you've made enough money for yourself that you can stray away now."

"You are more than just pretty face aren't you?" Klaus smiled. "I'm going to enjoy working with you Caroline Forbes."

Mmmh it seems Klaus is now considering changing his career, let me know if you think it's a good idea. I'm so glad they're friends again. Also do you guys want to meet our resident douche, Tyler? Let me know.