Chapter 6 - Pain

We walked into the library, with my excessive scratching, and took our seat on the romance level again. "Look I’m ready to talk." I said. (Continue…)

"Yes." he said with glistening eyes and a cute, defenceless grin planted clearly on his face. He looked like a god of some description; he had obviously worked out overnight too because I grabbed his arm and was greeted with the hump of muscle.

"I think… I’m ready… to hear what… you have… to say." I said between itches. Lars looked at me with concern as I used a piece of wood that was conveniently lying around to scratch my back at my shoulder blades.

"Are you okay?" he asked as his eyes danced around my neck as if I were wearing stolen goods. I reached around my neck without looking and grasped the pendant; I took it off and handed it to him. He reached for his neck but found nothing, "Is this mine?" he asked.

I felt my heart sink into my stomach and butterflies begin to swarm. He placed it around his neck and for a moment the atmosphere went awkward and silent as we looked around the room.

I was still scratching myself when he said, "I turned when I was six, and people call me The Angel of Death."

"Turned into what? Sorry."

"I turned into a Demon." He said it slowly, savouring every word. He wasn’t even looking at me because he was too busy scratching at the table in front of us; part of me wished that he was scratching my back instead of the table.

"How did it happen?" I asked quickly before I went back to itching and scratching my back eagerly. My back began to feel the hurt from my scratching and it ached; I grabbed the table in pain and pretended not to feel a thing.

Lars gave me a concerned look and I couldn’t help but let out a screech. The high pitched screech caught the attention of everyone in the library; it was Lars who ran to my aid. He lifted up the back of my shirts and let out a gasp at whatever he saw; he dropped my shirt back down and I began to feel my body becoming weak. He flung me over his shoulder and began running out the back door where he showed me his true form.

I couldn’t move and all my muscles ached; he pulled out a mobile phone and began dialling. "Alice you need to get here now!" he screamed into the phone.

I heard a muffled response and my eyes shut involuntarily.

I felt a cold hand on my head and my eyes shot open from the shock. I rolled over and coughed, I felt some substance fill my mouth and when I turned over to release it, I found it was blood.

The blood stained the grass and I wiped the remains from my mouth. It’s bitter and metallic taste tainted my tongue; I wanted to vomit.

"Not long yet." Alice said calmly as she held a glowing hand to my head.

"What is that?" I said loudly as I pushed her away from me.

"It’s my power, I’m a witch." She replied. My body suddenly felt light and the pain suddenly became bearable; I sat up and took deep breaths.

"I’m betting Werewolf." Kane said as he ran up to Lars, Alice and I. I turned to face him and gave him a cold stare. What is he talking about? I thought to myself.

I vomited again as Lars said, "I don’t think she knows what’s happening."

"No I don’t think so. This can be bad she hasn’t prepared herself." Alice replied as she held her hand over my chest and closed her eyes. When she opened them I saw shock clearly shown on her face; she turned to Lars and gave him a worried look. I hate not knowing what’s going on with my own body.

Everyone stood still for minutes as blood dripped from mouth, nose, ears and eyes. I wanted someone to do something to take me out of this pain but everyone looked clueless.

Kane snapped up and ran towards me. I flinched from the shock and when he reached me I looked solemnly into his eyes.

He lifted his right hand and placed in gently on my arm as he closed his eyes. I felt a wave of warmth fill me and a rush of energy as he walked away. I looked down and saw a paw print on my upper arm. I rubbed at it but it wouldn’t go. I stood up and saw Lars pinning Kane against a huge bin; they were both yelling and I could only hear Lars saying, "How dare you!"

"She wouldn’t have lived if I didn’t!" Kane yelled in reply. I was fine so what are they arguing about? I asked myself as I moved towards them and Kane walked off shouldering me on his way through.

"I’m glad you’re okay." Alice said. She walked passed me and glared at Lars before she left. Jessica only just turned up and she didn’t want to stay around so she left as well with a pat on my back.

I went to hug Lars but he turned away, "I’m sorry this happened to you." He said as he walked away from me and left me behind the library by myself.

Tears began to trickle down my face and in a short time Kane returned to comfort me. He wrapped his masculine arms around me and I couldn’t help wonder how he knew I was upset.

We sat down for a bit and he kept me close to him; I think he liked it though and I can’t say I didn’t like the company either.

"Are you a Werewolf?" I asked randomly.