Chapter 4 - I've Something To Show You

“Well how about from the beginning?” I asked Lars, as I grabbed for his hand but was harshly rejected. 

“How about we pretend that this is our first meet?”

“Okay” I replied thinking about our actual meeting. The feelings of that time flashed back to me, passion; lust; love. I just wished that I had been here before now so I could have the time to know him and fall in love. 

I don’t know why I liked him but I just did. There was something about it that felt like fate or destiny, I had my chances at love but only this time has it felt so real. 

“Well then let’s begin, but let me warn you that there will be no lies and it will all be the full truth. I hope you’re ready for this” Lars said in his usual mysterious tone and charming looks. I nodded nervously thinking, what could he possibly say that would freak me out?

He grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the back door of the library. When no one was watching he pushed hard and the doors flew open soundlessly, I felt my heart miss a eat when he pulled me out of the doorway and into the opening of the car park. 

“What are you doing?” I exclaimed as he took off his shirt to reveal his tight chest and buff muscles that I never knew he had. I felt an urge to run up to him and kiss him like he kissed me earlier today, but I didn’t. Instead he grabbed me and hugged me tight as I felt a harsh breeze graze my legs fiercely, I didn’t know what was happening and I couldn’t tear myself away from Lars’ deep blue eyes. He turned away from me and looked at the cloud next to us. CLOUD NEXT TO US? I thought in panic as I squirmed around to get a full view of our surroundings; light, fluffy clouds decorated the empty area around us. I turned to face him and saw the think black wings sprouted from his back. They looked elegant in a weird gothic type of way; they looked similar to the wings of a crow.

He pushed me closer to his hard, attractive chest as he leaned forward and we flew north, from what I could tell. I let my hands skim against the clouds, when I took them out of the clouds gentle touch my hands were wet and dripping. I flicked the water off and let my face catch the breeze as we tore through the skies; I felt all my pain, suffering and anything else bad, slip right out of me. 

For once in my life I felt free from harms devastating reach. In the pit of my stomach I felt something that I couldn’t put words to. 

I looked up at Lars as he put his face against my ear and said, “Is this truth enough for you?”

I felt relieved and then scared because I was in the air and being held by a mythical creature. My stomach began to churn as we made our descent onto a tall building that was just in reach of the clouds. 

Lars placed me down gently and spun me around until I faced him. He pressed me up against him and he went for a kiss. I couldn’t take it; the pressure; confusion and sorrow. I pushed against his bare chest, creating a short distance between us. He took a quick short breath as I turned away and began to walk to the edge of the building. 

I spun to face him. He was still standing with a look of rejection on his face and his hands by his sides. I walked over to him angrily and asked, “What are you?”

“I can’t say.” 

“Why take me here then?” 

“Because… I wanted to… show you.” Sadness swept over him and he sat on the ground as I walked closer and closer to him, until my shadow enveloped him. He looked up and tried to grab for my hand; obviously he thought that I was okay with this scenario. 

I tore my hand from his reached and glared right in his eyes until I gathered the courage to speak. “I demand that you take me home!” I screamed.

“You have to promise not to tell anyone.”

“I’m sorry, I can’t make that promise.” I replied, not up for a negotiation of any sorts.

He held me close in a silence that swarmed through us as we both took in the emotions of the other. We flew to the beginning of my street where he placed me down when no one was around to see, he looked like he was seriously emotionally hurt and so he should. I turned around and ran down my street with tears stinging at my eyes from the emotional hurt I felt and the breeze that pained me as I ran.

I reach my home and curled up on my queen bed and sobbed until I was out of breath and then sobbed some more, I couldn’t stop crying. My Gran walked in and yelled, “Where were you? School ended an hour ago!”

Every sound made me cry louder and louder until she heard my sobs and entered my room with a silent knock on my door. She sat next to me and placed my head on her lap as she played with my hair, she took a deep breath and spoke, “What’s wrong sweetheart? is it boy issues already, you just started school?”

I managed a weak ‘yes’ in response, and she instantly knew I was talking about the boy troubles. She took my hand into hers and said, “Honey it doesn’t matter how old you are you will always have boy troubles.”

I meekly smiled and she chuckled; I didn’t know what to say, she wouldn’t believe me if I said that I instantly fell in love with someone who had wings. I tried to put words to it without spilling the truth completely, “What do you do if the guy you love turns out to be something unnatural?” I said.

“What do you mean by unnatural?”

“Don’t worry.” I replied solemnly as she left my room and headed for the kitchen where a delicious dinner was cooking. Her long grey hair was platted behind her and her brown eyes showed the wisdom of a thousand generations as she spoke. She was small and brittle, her face and body showed her age with wrinkles. 

I fell asleep for ten minutes and was awoken by the sound of pebbles knocking against my window. I peered outside and saw Lars standing on my lawn with no shirt and a pair of puffy black trousers; I opened my window and couldn’t help but smile at him. I jumped out and landed on the flat roof of the first story; I jumped onto the ground and landed in Lars’ arms. 

He put me down gently as he spoke, “I’m here to tell you what I am.”

I froze in place as the suspense killed me.