Chapter 20

I woke up in my bedroom, expecting to see Syl beside me. But of course, he wasn't here. My apartment was filled with police officers and detectives who were waiting on Victoria to attack or call.

I rolled out of bed and headed to my bathroom. I decided to go to work today, only because Mrs. Charles kept emailing me last night about outstanding work and my deadlines. After showering, I slipped into a pair of dress pants, a camisole and a blazer and my black flats. I didn't even have the energy to put makeup on so I rubbed lip balm on my lips and grabbed my bag and headed to the living area. Schaaffe and her men were either on the phone or their computers doing work while drinking coffee and eating donuts. They filled my living room.

I began pouring out a cup of coffee when one of the police officers said,

"Where do you think you're going?"

I looked around as if he wasn't talking to me.

"Yes, I'm talking to you," he said.

The others looked up at me now.

"Work," I replied.

Detective Schaaffe stood up then said, "Aria, I'm afraid you can't."

"Why not? I have to go! I cant stay home all day, not knowing if Syl is okay. It will drive me insane. Plus, my boss would kill me. I have deadlines I need to meet and I cant tell her about this. I'm dating the CEO, remember?" I yelled.

"I'm afraid she already knows, Aria," Schaaffe said slowly.

I paused. "What? What do you mean she knows?"

One of the cops handed me this morning's newspaper.

There it was.

What I always dreaded.

My biggest fear.

What's New Journalist found dead in missing CEO's loft after scandalous photos were revealed of CEO & his secret lover.

Whoever wrote this shit almost had the full story. The whole of New York and possibly the entire country now know that I'm dating my CEO. My name and a clear picture of Syl and I on a date, hand in hand were on the cover. Misty's picture was there too. Victoria's name was missing from the entire article which meant she probably paid someone to publish this.

Bitch.

I started to cry. Ashamed.

Detective Schaaffe took my hand and led my to my bedroom. We sat on the bed. And she hugged me.

"It's okay, Aria. You may think life as you know it has come to an end but this is just an obstacle you're gonna get over. Your boss will call you eventually. Maybe she will fire you or not, who knows. The main thing here is to get back Mr. McMaster alive and to put that psycho, Victoria, in prison. If you receive threatening emails, calls or texts from people you know or don't know, don't worry; it happens a lot. Just know that my team is here to help and protect you so we're going to need you to stay here at all times. Got that?" she said.

I sniffed and nodded.

"Good. Now, I must tell you we will be listening on all your calls and will be able to see all your texts. Victoria will call you. I know that for a fact. She needs that money," she continued.

"What do you mean needs? Doesn't she already have money? She just wants Syl," I sniffed.

Schaaffe laughed, "The bitch is broke! Has three dollars and ten cents in her account and she has fraud charges on her. She just wants Sylvester's money."

I began to giggle at the three dollars and ten cents thing. I had more money in my piggy bank.

"Just stay here and you'll be fine," Schaaffe smiled.

******************************************************************************************

Mrs. Charles called me later in that evening. She was really shocked and upset that I was secretly dating Syl and sad about Misty's death. She talked about my writing skills and my great ideas and how talented I was... Then she fired me. I responded politely (only because my phone line was open to the cops) then hung up.

I didn't really care anyway. All I really wanted was Syl by my side again. I could find another job (hopefully). I just wanted Syl to be back with me again. For good. No interruptions.

Just us.

I went into the living room and looked outside through the windows. Cops were outside sipping on coffee. Schaaffe was with them too. I sat in the living room couch and skipped channels, bored to death. Just then my cellphone started ringing.

I grabbed it up and answered, "Hello?"

"Hey side bitch," the familiar voice said, followed by a giggle.

I paused.

"Victoria?" I replied.

"Yes, and I have our man here with me. You're on speaker phone but he cant talk ," she laughed.

Nut case.

Just then Detective Schaaffe and her team burst in the apartment with headphones on, listening to the conversation.

"Why cant he speak?" Schaaffe mouthed.

"Victoria, why cant he speak?" I asked.

"Because I taped his mouth up. Duh. And he's kind of weak. He forgot his pills," she replied nonchalantly.

"Listen bitch, you better let him go!" I replied infuriated.

She laughed. "You can have him.. For three million dollars."

"Tell her to send a picture of him then agree. Time and place for exchange," Schaaffe mouthed.

"Okay fine. Send a picture of him," I said to Victoria, "Where and when do we exhange?"

"Tomorrow. 11:30 pm. I'll text you the details," she replied then hung up.

"Got a trace on the call?" Detective Schaaffe asked one of her colleagues.

"Nope, she used a disposable cellphone," the cop with the laptop replied.

"Smart bitch," Schaaffe muttered, "We'll wait for that photo then prepare Aria to do the exchange."

My life and Syl's life were at stake here. I wanted him back home with me but I was really nervous about this.

"Don't worry, kid. You'll be fine. We have you covered," she replied, tapping me on my shoulders knowingly.

"I sure hope so."