Beauty In The Best Of Memories

After Jamie's friends had to go home, Jack and I had to deal with ordering pizza and waking Sophie so they both could eat. Afterwards, the three of them were in Jamie's room, Sophie with a stuffed toy fairy and Jamie with his glow in the dark robot. They were playing while I was downstairs.

"Thank you so much for babysitting, I hope they didn't give you any trouble, " They're mother cooed, coming home after her date. I shook my head.

"No, they were perfect. It was no trouble." I reassured her. She nods.

"Alright. Well Sweetie, how much do I owe you?" She had sat her purse on the counter and started sorting through it, looking for her wallet.

"O-owe? No, its fine! Uh, first time its free if charge?" I quickly declined the small number of bills she had just pulled out. With a puzzled look, set her hand on top the purse.

"Are you sure? I think you deserve a tip, for coming last minute and watching over them all evening."

"I'm sure." I kept my reply short. Really, it was bad enough that I got myself into this. At least the real sitter never showed, now THAT would be trouble.

"Hmm. Well alright, you are a strange girl. Thank you, anyway, you're a real life saver." I nodded at her and gave her a smile.

"It was no trouble." That's it, Ellie. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Like a robot.

After more thank yous and pushing complements, she relieved me of babysitting and said I could go home. Home.. Oh I wish I could go back. Back to how things were before I had that dream. Things have been spiraling up and down since. You know, I wouldn't mind being a Guardian if I wasn't a threat. None of the guardians seem to understand how much of a danger I could be. If I.. if I hurt someone, anyone again I would never forgive myself. I never forgave myself the first time.. I don't think I'll ever be able to.

"Hey Ellie, you alright?" I felt a cool hand on my shoulder. Even through a layer of clothes I could still feel his icy skin. He brought me out of my thoughts and I looked up to him. I had leaned in the counter in mid thought not realizing it.

"Yeah, fine." I reassured, adding a little smile for added measure.

"Alright then. Well come on, I want to show you something before we miss it, " his eyes sparked with sudden excitement. Following his lead he led me outside. I had no choice but to use a bit of my fire to glide up with him to the roof.  We sat where both sides of the house met and looked up at the sky. The sun had only fully set a few minutes ago and darkness filled the landscape around us. Up in the sky, stars shone through the dark, and a big pale orb that was the moon sat staring back at us.

"You know, I wouldn't mind becoming a guardian." I blurted into the cool, silent air around us.

"Then why don't you?" He asked thoughtfully.

"I.. Well.." I pulled my knees my my chest.

"You can tell me. It can be a secret between us two, if that makes you feel better."

I rolled my eyes lightly at him."Its less that I want to keep it a secret and more that I just don't want to talk about it. Thanks for your offer, its the thought that counts really."

It took him a moment before he replied. "Oh." He pulled his lanky legs up closer to him , but not nearly as close as I had pulled my legs to myself. Setting his elbows on his knees, he continued. "If you don't feel comfortable talking about it we don't have to. You can tell me or any of the guardians when you're ready to, were all here for you."

I gave him a soft smile, then set my chin on my knees. the sun had fully set now, leaving us in the chilly air. I admit, I was cold. By now, Jacks hoodie had dried mostly but our snowball fight-- war had me damp again.

Suddenly an arm was around my shoulders. Surprised, I tilted my head to Jack, the culprit. He was closer then I'd thought, but I didn't dwell on the fact that our noses were almost touching, I didn't have a choice. "Look," He whispered, looking from my eyes to my other side. I followed his eyes and saw the familiar strings of gold weave up and around buildings and off in different directions to deliver dreams. Not to far away was a stubby gold man who had to be Sandy, who was perched on his cloud, sending strings wherever they were needed.

Soon, a gold thread made its way to us. Just in arms reach, it weaved past and down and around I to what could only be Jamie or Sophie's window. I watched it, sending my hand out to touch the thread. Waiting for Jack to pull me back from it but instead, his other arm (he notably still had an arm around me) reached out too.

My fingers tangles with the golden thread and it weaved itself around my fingers before it mimicked fire and crawled up my arm. It came up to my shoulder and then flew off to spiral around us, now creating some little flying creature, probably fairies.

"Cool huh?" I heard Jack mumble, pulling me back into reality.

"Its.. Beautiful, " I smiled. I now understood why Jack was so eager and happy to show me. It really was, and it reminded me of the sand my dad wielded.

I felt the physical pause before Jack replied. "You're beautiful," He said, now suddenly conscious of his arm around me. He carefully pulled me closer, unsure if I'd approve of the action. I let him though, because I was too busy hiding my blush with my hands.

"You flatter me too much," I made out. "First I'm cute now I'm beautiful?"

Now, I felt him chuckle. I was pulled onto his side, and honestly, I didn't mind. I was comfortable. he was comfortable. He was undoubtedly sweet. Sweet and caring of me, and he had no reason to.

"Ellie, you deserve it. Because well, you are." He smiled. I did too, because what else was I to do? 

A long silence fell onto is. We watched the threads of gold fly across the dark sky till it began to fade. I felt my eyes involuntarily pull up to the glowing moon.

"What are you doing?"

Suddenly, I was somewhere else. Jacks cool embrace was gone and I was left feeling alone. In front of me, was a tall shadowy man and a little girl, can't be older than four or five. The three of us were standing in an older house, a child's playroom in fact. The little girl bounced in her curls and tried to put her elbows on the window sill. Outside, I saw the threads of gold.

"I wanna see the pretty strings again, Mr Bogey." The little girl smiled, going onto her tippy toes to see out the window. I watched the shadow reach out and wrap the girl, pulling her off the floor. A black box materialized underneath her, and he set her down again so she could look out the window properly. "What are they?" She asked curiously.

The shadow put a hand on her shoulder and looked out the window too. The window was arched, large doors swung out into the cold night air. He spoke quietly, his knowledge for her to hear only.

"Dreams, my dear. The strains send all the dreams to everyone in the world."

I felt my throat close in on itself. I'd know that voice anywhere. " Like yours, Mr Bogey?" The little girl asked.

I heard dad sigh. "Similar, yes." I walked around them and looked at their faces. the little girl had breathtaking ice blue eyes, and black hair to contrast. they surrounded her pudgy face with wide curls. Even with her rosy cheeks, why did she look so familiar? Her eyes glowed was she stared off into the golden strings.

"They're so pretty, " She whispered to Dad.

"They are. But not as much as you, My Little Nightmare," He said, suddenly tickling at her sides. She burst into a fit of laughter, her bubbly giggles bouncing off the walls of the small room. Within her laughter, I heard a nose, like a whisper, almost like the sound of the wind.