We Are Sick - Chapter Four

We Are Sick

Chapter Four

"Hello, Amelie? It's Penny." Amelie held the phone to her ear.

"Hello." She greeted quietly.

"Ken's not answering his phone. I've been trying to call him for ages. Could you ask him to call me, please?" Amelie sighed and glanced at the locked bedroom door. Maurice hasn't spoken to her since the Bond Test. She didn't know how to deal with him being this upset. It was really unlike him.

"He's not talking to me either." She could hear Ken's mother sigh in frustration over the phone.

"Honestly, he always gets like this, when things don't go his way. Maurice, I mean." Penny and Amelie were the only people who truly understood Ken's disorder; she had to send medication to Amelie to control his behavior. The last time she sent it to Ken, he threw it away saying he wasn't ill, and that stuff was expensive, "Anyway, when he does come around. Please tell him I called."

"I will, don't worry."

"Stay safe, child." She then hung up.

Amelie walked over to Ken's bedroom and leaned against the door.

"Maurice?" She called out. There was no answer, "I know you don't want to talk to me, but I just want to say. Even if you don't get full marks in the Personal test, you are still hundreds of points ahead of everyone in the academy. I don't care about getting hundred percent anymore, I just feel lucky to have an amazing partner to achieve great things with. As long as we don't get re-matched, we'll be ok." There was still no answer. Amelie grabbed her overnight bag and headed over to Mandy's dorm.

She couldn't stop thinking about what could have gone wrong during the Personal test. She couldn't think of anything that Maurice may have not known about her. She looked at the other students dancing around in the hallways celebrating their results. Some people came up to Amelie to praise her performance. All she could do was fake a smile. But she really wanted to cry. They always had good marks, this time she really did want something to be different with their scores. She felt worse for Maurice; she knew he was embarrassed by not getting full marks. But he could have handled it much better. She had never seen him act like that before.

She arrived at the dorm and the door was already open. She looked in to see lots of girls that she hasn't really spoken to. Regardless she stepped. All of the guests looked her way.

"Amelie, you did really well in the test!" One of the girls praised her. Amelie forced another smile.

"Thank you." Mandy jumped towards her and hugged her tightly.

"So glad you could make it! Sit down, would you like a brownie, I made them a few minutes ago." Amelie reluctantly sat down on one of Mandy's heart shaped plush cushion. She picked up a fresh brownie and popped it in her mouth. To be frank, Amelie hated chocolate. But she continued to eat, smiling up at her friend, not meaning to offend her. Although; it did taste fucking awful. After she had finished, she was handed a milkshake. This time, it was strawberry, another thing Amelie wasn't fond of. She drank it anyway, almost gagging at the fact it had bits in it.

She was surprised that she lived through eating that, without kicking up a fuss. If only Maurice could learn to do the same thing.

"So..." Mandy started, sitting beside Amelie, "How's Maurice? Is he talking?" Amelie shook her head.

"His mother called me, he hasn't been answering her either."

"Oh yeah, she must have saw him at the test."

"I'm sure he'll be over it. What bothers me is what went wrong?" Mandy rested a hand on her friend's shoulder.

"Things like this happen. It's a mistake you can learn from." Mandy didn't get it, but Amelie just allowed the conversation to drop. No one really understood how Maurice and her work together.