We Are Sick - Chapter Eighteen

We Are Sick

Chapter Eighteen

Arriving back at Londona was a huge relief for Amelie and Adam, they tried to keep a happy face when waving goodbye to the Adam's oblivious parents, who drove them back from their holiday. It wasn't considered much of a holiday, remembering back to the events that took place within it. They were greeted by two of the Elite Squad members, patrolling the areas and escorted back into their safe haven of the academy, through the lift, which students liked to purposely go on for the fun of it. The two teenagers, who were once a couple, didn't say anything, there was nothing else to say. It was over. Amelie was kind of glad in a way, she felt as though she had more freedom and didn't need to focus on trying to keep him happy. She could now be selfish, but that didn't mean she was going to ignore her growing feelings for Ken. She had to admit, that after the break-up, she had thought about him increasingly over the remaining days of her holiday. She smiled slightly to herself, she was looking forward to seeing him again.

"I see you're looking forward to run back to Ken." Adam finally said, with a cold tone. It was as if he had read her mind. Amelie dropped her smile and looked outside of the lift until it landed. Once the doors opened, Adam grabbed his bags and walked away, not even goodbye, not even letting Amelie say thank you; as if that would help the situation. She sighed in defeat and grabbed her own bags, which were slightly heavier. She turned back to the guards and bowed her head, as a gesture of thanks. The lift doors swiftly closed, she looked around the dome in sadness, but also excitement, she couldn't help but feel excited to see her partner. She just spent the whole week enduring nothing but awkwardness and non-stop arguments, she had hoped that he hadn't been too lonely, especially Maurice; she knew what person he would turn to. She suddenly remembered the existence of Miss. Turner and the high possibility of Maurice visiting her behind her back, he had probably did before she even found that they were in a relationship.

She arrived at the dorm room and made no hesitation to enter. She set down her bags and looked around the room, she was surprised it was so tidy. There wasn't a stack of games sprawled out across the floor, stacks of papers Ken had been meaning to chuck out, nor was there any trays of smuggled food; something that the two always used to do when they didn't feel like eating in the cafeteria. It was almost impeccable. Normally Ken didn't like to clean up, which was the complete opposite to Maurice; who was very precise how his bedroom should be, sort of like some OCD. Did Ken want to impress her? She smiled and walked towards his room, knocking on his door.

"Guess who's back?" She continued knocking and there was no answer. Amelie frowned and looked at her watch, he should be here at this time in the day. Perhaps he had gone to see Mandy, but she remembered that Mandy was still away and wasn't coming back until tomorrow. Where was he? She stepped out of the dorm and headed towards Miss. Turner's classroom, she didn't want to go there, but she had to check. She really wanted to see Ken or even Maurice if he was around. She arrived at the room and there was no-one inside, she even checked the back room...just in case. She stepped and looked around the hallways in confusion, where could Ken be at this hour? She saw a group of students gathered around, whispering, staring at her. She ignored their observation of her and walked the opposite direction, avoiding the crowd. She could hear the sound of footsteps approach her and she stopped in her tracks.

"Excuse me?" Amelie turned back, in high hopes that it was Ken, who was looking for her. But it wasn't, it was one of her classmates, "Have you seen or spoken to Ken recently?" She was shocked at this question, not because someone was actually asking about someone they feared, but shocked by the fact that they were looking for him. What for?

"No, I just come back from holiday." Amelie answered, trying to read the body language of the girl.

"She doesn't know..." One of the interrogator's friend asked, tugging on her arm. She made it seem like it was wrong of her asking Amelie, which made her more confused and anxious.