Chapter 1 - "Painful Memories"

It's Friday evening and I have been at the mall all day looking for new clothes to wear, now that it's summer. I exited the mall and started on the long walk to my car. Since it was Friday, the parking lot was packed and there were no spaces. This resulted in me having to park the farthest away you could possibly park. "This sucks.." I muttered under my breath, as I walked to my car carrying all my bags.

I couldn't help but realize how pretty it was outside as I walked. The sun was slowly setting, leaving the sky in shades of yellow, orange, and pink. The weather started to become warm and not as hot. The cool breeze blowing through every few minutes.

As I arrived to my car, I pulled out my keys and pressed the button hooked on my keychain. After making a click, telling me it had been unlocked, I got in putting my bags in the passenger seat. I then slipped out my iPhone and took a picture of the sunset and posted it to Twitter.

"Just got out of the mall and came out to this! Beautiful!"

I slipped my phone back in my pocket, hearing a few chirping noises telling me I had notifications. I just ignored it and knew I would check them later. Having a few thousand followers on Twitter, some people would think I was pretty popular. But really, most of them were just stuck up people from school who wanted to use me, someone famous my Dad has worked with, or I just overall had no clue who they were.

After about 45 minutes, I had arrived at my house. I really hated my house. I mean don't get me wrong, it's amazing, but it's just too much. I don't get why we couldn't live in a normal size house like everyone else. Just because we have money, doesn't mean we need to show it to the world. But no matter how much I hated it or how much I complained, it didn't make a difference, because I was stuck in this house until I could afford my own.

I grabbed the 4 bags full of everything I had gotten today while shopping and hopped out of the car. I started walking to the door when I noticed there was another car in the drive way. I turned and started to examine it. It was a black van type car, and it looked pretty expensive, so I assumed it was another pop star my dad was working with. I turned around and sighed as I put the key in the door, unlocked it, and opened the door. The rush of cool air hitting my face as I opened it.

"Hello? Dad I'm Home!"

Shutting the door, I put all my bags down and walked into the living room in search of my dad who hadn't replied to me.

"Hey Da- Oh sorry."

I stopped talking when I noticed my dad talking to a group of guys.

"Megan! This is a band called One Direction!"

My dad gestured to the couch where the five boys were sitting. I had heard of One Direction on Twitter, so I've learned their names and listened to a few songs. I turned my gaze to them and started to inspect each boy. The one on the far left had brown hair that was brushed to the side, with a few messy pieces, and was wearing a striped shirt. I knew he was Louis. Next to him was Liam. He had a short hair cut forming a small quiff. I hadn't seen his hair like this so I assumed he had gotten a haircut recently. Next to him was Harry. His hair was curly and when he would smile you can see he had dimples. Next was Zayn. His hair was shiny with the product he used to keep his hair in place. Lastly was Niall. His blond hair wasn't really done, he just had a messy kind of look. But it actually looked good.

"Hi, I'm Megan." I said smiling, as I stuck out my hand moving it in front of each them as they shook my hand. "Got a boyfriend?" Harry asked, winking. I rolled my eyes sitting in the chair next to my dad. I hated when people asked that question. I haven't had a boyfriend in years, because it's so hard for me to trust people. It's not that I don't want one, I just can't bring myself to trust anyone. Besides, why is he flirting with me anyway? Who do I look like? Some girl who just falls for every guy that walks through the door? He doesn't know me. And that wasn't a good way to start out with me.

"Okay!" My dad started as he clapped his hands together. "So the guest room is down the hall, but there's only one bed so your gonna have to figure out your sleeping arrangemen-" "WOAH WOAH! Slow down! What do you mean 'sleeping arrangements'?!" I interrupted. "Megan, honey, their gonna be staying with us while I'm working with them." He said while resting his hand on my knee. "And I get no say in this?! Why can't they stay in a hotel or something?!" I yelled back. I was so mad. How could my dad just invite these 5 teenage boys, who we barely even know, to stay at our house?

"Megan, if they stay in a hotel the paparazzi will find them a lot quicker than if they were to stay here at our house." I jumped up from my chair. The boys were sitting on the couch awkwardly watching us fight, not knowing what to do. "Oh yeah, they'll never think that they might be staying with the guy who is helping them with the record!" I said sarcastically. "Megan. They are staying here and that's final." He said more sternly this time and giving me a look saying 'leave it', but he knew far too well I wasn't going too.

"No! That's not fair! How could you just invite them to stay and not even ask me?!" My vision was beginning to get blurred as my eyes filled with water. "Because it's not your choice Megan!" "Nothing's my choice! If it was then we wouldn't have this stupid house, you wouldn't have this job, and mom wouldn't be gone!" A tear slowly escaped from my eye. "Megan.." I quickly wiped away the tear. "No! This is all your fault! This is why I don't have friends! This is why I can't trust people! And this is why mom left!"

I ran up the stairs, wiping away all the tears that were starting to fall from my eyes. I quickly made my way to my room and slammed the door shut. I jumped onto my bed and shoved my head into my pillow and let out all the tears that were showing no signs of stopping anytime soon.

I had then realized that I just made a huge scene in front of the boys downstairs, but right now, I didn't care. The only thing on my mind was my mom. God I miss her. My mom left about 5 years ago. My dad had been working at his 'big famous record company' for about a year, and he had bought us a house, a car, clothes. Anything we wanted, we had. Sounds great right? Yeah, well it's not. As my dad got more and more popular and started to make more money, he would completely forget about me and my mother. The only thing important was the famous pop star in the living room. My parents would always get into fights late at night about my dad not paying enough attention. I was supposed to be sleeping but I was awake. Awake the whole time. Every single night, I would sit in my room with my hands covering my ears, trying to block out the yelling and crashing of objects being thrown, but it never worked. I would cry all night and lay down in my bed hoping to fall asleep and wake up with everything being fine.

On June 4th 2007, I woke up to a piece of paper on the side of my bed. As I looked at it, it was a note that had been written by my mom. I could tell because of her perfect bubbly handwriting. It read..

"Megan. I love you and I never want you to forget that. I left last night to go to a friend's house. I'm gonna be staying there and I'm not sure if I'll be back. Your dad has just been really busy lately and I think that if I leave, things will get better and he will pay more attention to you. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye honey, you looked so tired and I didn't want to wake you. I think it would hurt me too much to say bye. But I love you and I'll never forget you and I'll defiantly never stop loving you. Be good. Your dad loves you. Just be patient with him. I love you Megan."

After reading the note, I kept reading over that part that said 'I'm not sure if I'll be back' I was hoping that maybe she would be. That she just needed a few days away and then she would come back.

Its been 5 years and I haven't heard from her once. No calls. No letters. Nothing. She missed 5 birthdays, my first boyfriend, my first kiss, my first prom, my first dance recital, and my first dance contest. I still have the note in a drawer next to my bed. Every night before I go to sleep, I get out the note and just keep hoping that she'll be back. Although I didn't really believe she would.