What we could be

Jac's POV:
Another day, another surgery. I walked along Darwin towards the nurses station as I did every morning.
"Morning Jac." Turning to see Steven Fletcher alongside me.
I looked at him with my usual 'I haven't had my morning coffee yet' glare.
"You don't like me much do you?" He stated.
"I don't like anyone much." I retorted back.
"Well that's not entirely true though is it.." gesturing towards Fletch who was stood at the nurses station with a large pile of paperwork. I looked towards him not noticing that I was smiling and Steven had walked off, proud of himself for my reaction.
Fuck sake, why do I have to have feelings for him. Why another nurse.
I continued walking to the nurses station grabbing my morning theatre list.
"Morning Sunshine." Jumping as i heard Fletch sneak up behind me. 
"Coffee is in your office, your first surgery isn't until 10 and lucky you have me as your scrub nurse all day." Inwardly I smiled not letting it show on the surface. I loved spending time in theatre with Fletch. He knew what I was doing before I did sometimes, and those eyes. Stop Naylor.
I arrived in my office slumping on the sofa with my coffee when the phone rang.
"Hi this is Melissa from the crèche. Emma won't stop crying and she's got a temperature, would you be able to collect her?" I groaned down the phone.
"I'll be right down."
Great timing.

After a dose of calpol, a cuddle on the sofa with Sarah the pig and a story, Emma was fast asleep. I can't just leave her here when I'm in theatre I thought watching my sleeping child.
I heard a knocked at the door and ran to it so it didn't wake her.
"Fletch, quietly Emma's sleeping."
He walked in admiring the sleeping tot.
"What's happened?" Questioning why she wasn't in the crèche.
"She's got a temperature and they couldn't settle her. What shall I do about theatre?" He could probably see the stress and exhaustion in my eyes.
"I'll work something out." Rubbing my arm gently.

Fletch's POV:
As I walked down the corridor I realised I'd do pretty much anything for her.
I had a plan so headed off the AAU. I knew exactly who to find grabbing a nurse I knew had the cardio experience and could keep up with Jac in theatre.
Arriving back at her office I poked my head round the door to find Jac with Emma resting on her lap.
She had nodded off to sleep so I nudged her making sure she didn't jump and wake Emma.
"Sleepy head, I've got a plan. You go to theatre, I've found you a scrub nurse almost as good as me, but not half as handsome. I'll look after Emma."
She began standing up, but unable due to the sleeping child holding her down, so I carefully lifted Emma making sure not to wake her.
"Thanks Fletch, for everything." She leant over and kissed me on the cheek before leaving.
What was that. I could still feel her soft lips on my cheek. Smell her perfume lingering in the air making me heart beat 10x faster.

Jac's POV:
As I finished up in theatre my mind wandered back to the man in my office caring for my daughter. I couldn't help but smile. As I continued scrubbing out I thought of how I'd kissed Fletch on the cheek as I left. What was I thinking. Control your feelings Naylor.
Back at my office I heard singing and laughter so peered round the door quietly to find Emma and Fletch doing the spider song. She looked so happy.
"Looks like someone's feeling better." Holding my arms out for the child running at me.
"Mummmmy! Me and Fletch did the spider song and coloured." Holding up some of the crayon drawings.
"And we discussed going back to the crèche didn't we Emma." Fletch said to the little girl who had come back to his side.
"Yeah mummy I want to go play blocks with Theo. Pleeeeaaase?"
Begging to go back.
"Sure baby give me a second and I'll take you down." Sitting on the sofa getting some energy back.
Fletch walke diff to the door.
" I'll come see you in a bit Naylor. And as for you missy, be good for your mother." Emma sticking her tongue out at him and him returning the gesture before leaving.
After dropping Emma back off it was time for my next surgery. AAA repair, and a big one at that. I walked the the scrub room to find Fletch already there prepping the patient.
"Ready for this?" He asked.
"Definitely now I have my favourite scrub nurse back."  Winking at him jokingly.
"Oi you, I could go and get Jackie back."
"No!" I answered quickly knowing I needed him for this one. He was sort of like my good luck charm.
Once the repair was complete I sighed with relief and looked up at Fletch over the other side of the table. I could see him smiling back at me through his mask.

Fletch's POV:
I slumped in the chair staring blankly at the computer screen. They way she looked at me, my heart skipped a beat. Those beautiful eyes. I need to talk to her.
Arriving at her office door I contemplated knocking but for some reason just burst in ready to put my cards on the table.
"Fletch, what's up?" She was sat in the corner chair reading some medical journal.
"Jac, we need to talk. About us."
She looked up over her glasses.
"What is there to talk about." Getting up and placing her book and glasses on the table.
"You know. You know what has been going on between us for months. You feel it too." I took hold of her arms running my hands down to her wrists, taking her hands in mine. She looked down at our hands, tears brimming in her eyes.
"I can't Fletch. I can't do this. It never ends well. I'm broken." She looked up at me.
"What we have, what we could be together." I reached up to her face wiping away one of the falling tears.
"I think it's worth a risk. I don't care if you say your broken Jac. I want to be there for you. I am there for you." She closed her eyes and breathed in a deep sigh. 
"Fletch you make me feel safe, and like I belong. I'm scared that if I let you in, I'm going to end up losing all that and I can't go through that again."
She began to turn away but I grabbed her by the waist and turned her back to face me. She placed her hands softly on my chest before linking her arms round my neck as I brushed my lips against hers for a soft lingering kiss. I pulled back slightly to gauge her reaction before I felt her lean in to deepen the kiss.
"Does this mean you'll give me a chance?" I questioned.
"Please just don't leave me now. I don't know what I'd do without you."