the one with the gag reflex

"Where is he?" Sophie asked, her voice alarmingly loud compared to its usual quiet and tentative sound. Scott turned quickly to see her bursting through the doors of Dr. Deaton's office, looking frazzled and wearing some baggy denim shorts and an equally enormous knit sweater that was probably stylish in the nineties.

"He's unconscious right now. Sophie, we need to-" Scott answered but trailed off as the force of nature shoved by him,  wandering to his side with her eyes still trained on Liam, who was lying passed out on a stiff metal table in the middle of the office.

"Is he okay? What happened?" asked Sophie in a rush, ignoring Scott's feeble attempts to talk to her. It was important that he heard it from her, but she wasn't giving him much opportunity. She rested one hand next to Liam's twitching head on the table, leaning over him so her hair swung in a sheet across his view.

She remained silent, passively brushing her hair back as she inspected his face intently, There was no way Sophie could avoid blaming herself if anything happened to Liam. Even if it wouldn't have made a difference, Sophie knew that she'd blame herself for not running faster or training harder or stopping Garret somehow.

"Garret's dead, Sophie." Scott announced finally, tired of trying to tell her slowly. He had to say it right out or else she would never hear it. There may not have ever been a time for her to hear it, she may never have been ready to hear it. He knew that she and Garret had been together, that she and Violet had been friends. And no matter what they had done, that would never change. It would always be hard to hear.

"Garret- Garret and Violet. They got both of them." Scott admitted, recalling what he and Chris had seen when they'd found Kate and the Bezerkers, Violet's lifeless form in the chair in the empty building. It'd been a split second, but there was no mistaking it. The Bezerkers had taken both of her friends from her.

Sophie pulled her hand away from Liam on the table, holding it to her chest and staring blankly around the room. It had never been what she'd expected to hear Scott say. After everything they'd done, all of the supernatural beings that they'd killed without a hitch- Sophie had always seen Violet and Garret as being invincible. But just like that, she was completely proven wrong.

"Is Liam going to be okay?" She asked after a short pause, turning and staring blankly at Scott, her eyes looking not at him, but through him instead. Scott and Chris exchanged a look and Dr. Deaton spared a short glance at the girl before lifting a scalpel and carefully cutting a line down the centre of Liam's chest.

Sophie involuntarily gagged, covering her mouth before turning to face Scott and pressing her forehead on his shoulder. She peeked out to see a yellowish mist escaping the cavity, this time making a loud noise as she gagged. "Is he really- oh, God. That is just nasty."

The room stayed relatively quiet as the yellow wolfsbane leaked out of Liam's chest. "I don't want to keep watching people die." Sophie looked up at Scott, her hand subconsciously brushing the messed hair away from Liam's face as he lay still on the table.

"I'm not sure you have much choice about that." Mr. Argent pointed out, resting a hang on Sophie's arm gently. She quickly pulled it away, not looking up at her friend's father. He was an image on anonymity to her, ever since Allison's death and his hasty escape to France- she no longer felt that he was a father figure. He had become the rarely present uncle, the one with the murky background that constantly withheld information.

"Maybe I do." Scott shrugged, looking up from his Beta to the ex-hunter across from him.

Dr. Deaton looked across at him, a troubled expression on his face. "That's a lot of burden to carry Scott."

"I don't care." Scott affirmed, shaking his head curtly. He faced Sophie, his voice lowering but growing only more promising. "No one else dies."

She felt as though his words were meant for her more than himself or anyone else. Scott of all people knew that Sophie needed for everyone to be okay. She had so many people to protect, but she couldn't be the one to do it. Scott knew he had to be the one to do it for her.

"Everyone on that list, everyone on that dead pool- it doesn't matter if they're wendigos, or werewolves, or whatever- I'm gonna save every one." said Scott firmly, looking away from Sophie when he realized she wasn't ready to look at him. There was so much she had to worry about, and all he wanted was to take that stress away from her and let her go.