the one with the babysitter

When Mrs. Martin dropped Sophie off at school early that morning, she had been anything but compliant. She was furious after the party that Lydia and her had thrown- she'd let herself be thrown under the bus, too, because the Martin sisters always stuck together- and she'd ended up with a broken arm that was now wrapped in a hard, Tiffany blue cast.

The lie had gone as such: Sophie and Stiles had been messing around in the boathouse and she fell and broke her arm. Mrs. Martin would only believe it if Stiles had been involved. She wouldn't have found out about the party if the guy delivering the keg hadn't been decapitated, either, not than any of them had managed to explain that one.

And, after all the chaos that had ensued and a very serious conversation between Lydia, Stiles, and Sophie in the car ride to Beacon Hills Hospital, Sophie had been hired for her newest job: Babysitting Liam Dunbar. It had been decided that she was the only non-supernatural being that could be trusted to watch out that Liam didn't lose control. That was why she was sitting on a bench in the gym at Beacon Hills High wearing a pair of Madewell skinnies, a peach tee, and a nude cardigan, her Steve Madden ankle boots propped up on a twenty pound weight.

"You know how I was asking Garrett to give me back my hoodie?" Mason directed at Liam and Sophie, grabbing some weights and lifting them. Liam groaned, getting up and adding more weight to the bar. Clearly his wolf powers gave him super strength, because the hundred-fifty pounds he was lifting was too easy.

"Yeah." Liam sighed, lying back down and trying again, still lifting it easily.

"I remembered that he said he lived in that housing development on Spalding." Mason explained, and Sophie wrinkled her nose.

"There's nothing there. It's still a development." She pointed out, watching as Liam added more weight to the bar and lied down again.

"Exactly." Mason nodded. "So, unless the dude lives in some backhoe, there's something he's not telling us."

Sophie thought about it for a moment, expecting at least some sort of reaction from Liam. They got none. "And there's this other dude, man. He's been really strange." Mason continued, eyeing Liam. "Running to school for no reason, disappearing at parties. Used to be my best friend."

Sophie snorted, still waiting for Liam to react in some form. "And apparently is on steroids."

"What?" Liam bolted upright, his attention finally on his best friend. Sophie rolled her eyes and exchanged a look with Mason, who just sighed.

"You're not actually going to try and lift that, are you?" Mason asked, nodding at the weight. Liam glanced at it, shrugging slightly. "Are you okay? Is this about the game tonight?"

"I'm fine." Liam shrugged it off, sitting on the bench next to Sophie. She let her eyes wander over his shoulders and down his sculpted arms, then quickly snapped away when Mason cleared his throat. "It's just a scrimmage."

"You know who we're playing right?" Mason clarified. Sophie's brows drew together in confusion, looking between her friends.

"Yeah- I mean, no. I must have missed the announcement." Liam shook his head, clearly struggling to focus again. Sophie sighed and nudged him with her elbow.

"Liam, it's your old school." Mason admitted, looking at him seriously. "Devenford Prep."

Liam's eyes snapped away from Sophie's hand, which was resting on the bench between them. He looked up at Mason, his heartbeat rising sporadically. They couldn't be playing Devenford. Not today. Liam stood and grabbed his bag, storming off to the locker room in a huff.

The door banged shut behind him and Sophie looked from Mason to the locker room uncertainly. Then she sucked in a breath and got to her feet. "He wasn't ditching you."